silkie sexing

More silkies!

Hi Ashtree, I was wondering about the same thing (as I watch with horror beautiful red feathers growing on my partridge silkie "pullet" wings:eek: ). I found this thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/727347/my-sexing-article in regards to the wing coloring and it clearly states: "[COLOR=333333]Sex linked colour in wings. Deep red. Doesn't matter the breed - always a boy"[/COLOR] [COLOR=333333]Now I can only hope for my white "pullet" to have just 'accidentally' ended up with a slightly too big comb and male swept back 'haircut'....[/COLOR]:/ I won't give up yet, however am not sure how much longer I can convince myself that they might still miraculously turn out to be pullets. This is them, two days ago what do you think? This is 'him' this picture does not really show the red but it is becoming more obvious every day now :( I am sure he will be a beautiful rooster and I'd love to keep him, unfortunately we are not allowed to keep rooster here in the suburbs...
I hate to say it but the white one looks like a rooster to me. That being said your partridge has a very feminine crest but I guess there is significance in the whole color thing :( do they chest bump often?

@trishspa is the red coming in on the wings? The article says specifically on wings=roo. I can't tell from the picture if that's the case with your partridge.

I am afraid it is on the wings. You can hardly see it on the picture, just started to come through on the weekend, but it is getting more every day (will post new pics next weekend).
They did chest bump quite a lot in the beginning, however now it is only very rare. The crest of the partridge is very feminine, but that is about the only feminine thing about 'him'
sad.png
The white one is smaller, has smaller feet and a slightly smaller comb, however the hairdo is pretty obviously not female (it might be slightly younger though, not 100% sure they are from the same clutch). Somehow I knew from the beginning they would both turn out to be the same gender as they are very similar size, stance and behaviour wise.
I guess I will have to prepare for re-homing them
hit.gif
, which brings us back to 0 chicken (now that the coop and run and everything is ready)
roll.png
. Not sure if I will try the chick lottery again or just look around for older, sexed birds but they are soooo cute when they are babys and I'm not sure if they can grow attached to you the way they do when you raise them as chicks?

I will keep you all updated and possibly harass you again with new baby silkie sexing requests once the season has started again and chicks are available. We might go for at least 4 next time to better our chances of pullets
smile.png

I am afraid it is on the wings. You can hardly see it on the picture, just started to come through on the weekend, but it is getting more every day (will post new pics next weekend).
They did chest bump quite a lot in the beginning, however now it is only very rare. The crest of the partridge is very feminine, but that is about the only feminine thing about 'him'
sad.png
The white one is smaller, has smaller feet and a slightly smaller comb, however the hairdo is pretty obviously not female (it might be slightly younger though, not 100% sure they are from the same clutch). Somehow I knew from the beginning they would both turn out to be the same gender as they are very similar size, stance and behaviour wise.
I guess I will have to prepare for re-homing them
hit.gif
, which brings us back to 0 chicken (now that the coop and run and everything is ready)
roll.png
. Not sure if I will try the chick lottery again or just look around for older, sexed birds but they are soooo cute when they are babys and I'm not sure if they can grow attached to you the way they do when you raise them as chicks?

I will keep you all updated and possibly harass you again with new baby silkie sexing requests once the season has started again and chicks are available. We might go for at least 4 next time to better our chances of pullets
smile.png
Dont rehome them yet! Update with pictures in 2 more weeks if you can, a lot can change in a couple weeks with silkies. Where are you located? I feel so bad you may have gotten 2 boys.
sad.png

Edited to add, I just noticed you are in Australia. Im in Oklahoma. Was hoping I could give you an extra pullet.
sad.png
Again so sorry you may have an empty coop.

Last edited:
Any chance this Partridge Silkie is a hen?

I think I already know the answer, but want some other opinion before "s-he" gets swapped.

I think "Mojito" is about 12 wks

Thanks
Thor

Old pics about 7wks?

This is Lady Grey...hopefully a lady...and not so much grey any more...lol I can't seem to get a very good pic of "her"! She's about 14 weeks old now...she is a she....right??
fl.gif

I have always thought Little Mo was a roo buy I am not sure. His/her head feathers, though sparce, are growing in all over and every which a way! 2hat do you think? He/she is a much more rambunctious personality then Buddha.....then again she is a buddha! Lol!

Back
Top Bottom