Silkies 1 hen and 2 roosters

Henhouse2021

In the Brooder
Sep 1, 2021
Hello,

I have three silkie chicks that are 4 months old now. The three of them are best friends and have been living very well with my other 4 hens, but they usually stick to their own little group.

it it too bad but I am pretty sure two are roosters and only 1 is a hen. This means I will have to find a new home for the 2 roosters as I am not allowed rooster in my city area. Do you think the 1 silkie hen will be fine when her two friends are gone? Should I find another silkie hen for her?

Thanks for your help!

Hello,

I have three silkie chicks that are 4 months old now. The three of them are best friends and have been living very well with my other 4 hens, but they usually stick to their own little group.

it it too bad but I am pretty sure two are roosters and only 1 is a hen. This means I will have to find a new home for the 2 roosters as I am not allowed rooster in my city area. Do you think the 1 silkie hen will be fine when her two friends are gone? Should I find another silkie hen for her?

Thanks for your help!
Yes, she needs a silkie buddy. 😊
Post photos of your birds if you like and we can help you, they can be very tricky to sex.
Good clear side view of the bird standing, as well as close up of comb.

Hello,

Thanks for your help!

If your prediction of their sex is correct, the short answer is no. She will not be fine when you take her two buddies away. Better to keep the roos and find more hens, or let them all go as a group.

We we worried that we would have to make that VERY difficult decision with two hatch-mates this spring. Out of the 20 or so chicks we hatched, we had two that were SUPER sweet, so we kept them out of the "for sale" mix of 2 to 4 week old chicks. They were nearly inseparable from hatch, and they grew tighter when it came down to just the two of them at about 4-5 weeks of age, but then there was the concern that one was a rooster as they started to mature.

After a brief discussion, it was settled: if one turned out to be a rooster, they would BOTH go. We couldn't bear seeing them without one another; it would just be cruel in our opinion since they always looked for the other if they managed to get separated. Thankfully, they both were females, but we didn't know that for sure until they were about 4 months old...

If your prediction of their sex is correct, the short answer is no. She will not be fine when you take her two buddies away. Better to keep the roos and find more hens, or let them all go as a group.

We we worried that we would have to make that VERY difficult decision with two hatch-mates this spring. Out of the 20 or so chicks we hatched, we had two that were SUPER sweet, so we kept them out of the "for sale" mix of 2 to 4 week old chicks. They were nearly inseparable from hatch, and they grew tighter when it came down to just the two of them at about 4-5 weeks of age, but then there was the concern that one was a rooster as they started to mature.

After a brief discussion, it was settled: if one turned out to be a rooster, they would BOTH go. We couldn't bear seeing them without one another; it would just be cruel in our opinion since they always looked for the other if they managed to get separated. Thankfully, they both were females, but we didn't know that for sure until they were about 4 months old...
Thank you for the insight that is good to know! :)

Back
Top Bottom