Silkies and Rhode Island Reds?

lilchik

Songster
10 Years
May 3, 2009
Rio, WV
I have a small flock of Silkie chickens, they were my first chickens ever. I have had them for about 2 yrs. now. I just bought 10 RIR chicks that are about 1 week old.
I have read some other posts about putting bantam chickens in with standard, seems more people think they can be together than not.
My question is will the standard roosters try to mate with the Silkie hens? If they do, will the Silkies have problems laying the eggs.

Also, the RIR chicks are quite different than Silkies! They are more energetic, running and jumping up in the air. I have not noticed that with my Silkie chicks. They seems very healthy, alert, and are eating and drinking great.

I hope an experienced owner will chirp on this one. I have golden comets, which are RIR crosses. The birds are vigorous, establish a definitive pecking order and are prodigious layers. I would think the Silkies would be terribly intimidated by them...just my 2 cents
cool.png

And yes the roosters will mate with darn near anything- I don;t think the egg size is determined by that, but a RIR rooster is likely to rip your silkie girls on the backs...

Last edited:
I had both silkies and RIR They got along fine. I would think it may depend on your roo if he is an aggressive breeder or not. My RIR didn't seem to bother the silikie hens or their roo. It was almost like I had 2 differnt flocks that just happened to share the same coop and yard.
Good luck with your new ones
Piecemaker

I have a mixture of hens and roos. Including a Silkie pair. The only roo that breeds with my Silkie hen is my Silkie roo. He doesn't allow any other roo near her. (and he's near the bottom of the pecking order) LOL

Great! I feel relieved now. I would hate to try to keep them seperate.

Any more input appreciated.

Thanks!

I personaly wouldn't do it if the silkies have vaulted skulls. A pecking order with silkies is different then when its got a larger bird is thrown in. One good hard peck to the head and your silkies are dead. Those vaulted skulls leave a soft spot exposing the brain. I had a friend's silkie run into a wall and fall over dead.

Last edited:
I've added silkies to existing standard flocks which included RIRs and
it was OK, not great but ok. I wouldn't do it again.

Now in your case, since the RIRs are babies, as long as you get them
with the silkie flock early it should be ok.

I've never seen a standard roo bother a Silkie but I have seen a
silkie roo attempt to mate with a standard. I had to give one of mine
a step stool.
smile.png

I have both silkies and RIR and comets all together

The adult silkie and comets have been together for a year
we had 2 and the standards picked on the one that the hawk took- she never was accepted by the bigger girls-but the one left was accepted after the other was gone
idunno.gif

now i have 2 adult RIR's that just were introduced they are older girls that were no longer wanted - and one was pulling the silkies tail so I am keeping close eye- appears the issues occur when they are getting ready for bed in the coop but while free ranging no one cares

I also have 6 RIR and 2 silkies that are about 1 month they are being brooded together and I have not seen any issues yet
fl.gif

good luck if you have the room it may be best to have seperate coops

I plan on making a banty coop and a standard coop in time .

I think you will need to give it a try and see.

I had Silkies in with my Standards. But the Partridge Rock Roo (Big Boy) did mount my Silkie hens. And he was easily 8-9 lbs compared to their 1 lb. I built a seperate house and run for the silkies. They seem much happier.

Back
Top Bottom