At this stage if they are alive you CAN see movement. If there is no movement they stopped developing at some point and are not going to hatch. When you are candling then to check for movement you can gently move the egg and light around and also tap on the shell with your fingernail. Sometimes they rest in their eggs but between the movement of the egg and the stimulation of the light and your gentle taps, they should respond if they are alive. If they are still alive it’s usually fairly obvious even if it’s your first time hatching.
When we candeled them it was quite hard to see movement but it looked all black/dark except for a light spot at the top which we assume is the air bubble.

When we candeled them it was quite hard to see movement but it looked all black/dark except for a light spot at the top which we assume is the air bubble.
I have only personally hatched out one egg, and I can tell you I thought it was dead for 4 days before it pipped and came out right on schedule. That was in an incubator. I have had a broody before and I didn't candle any of her eggs. If she pushed one out, I assumed it was bad and tossed it. I didn't open it, just tossed it out. I think with broodies, the timing might be a little different because the whole process isn't controlled like it is in an incubator. She may not have been sitting on these for a few days. They will gather eggs for a week many times to get enough to sit on. I would be patient and let the broody tell you.

I have only personally hatched out one egg, and I can tell you I thought it was dead for 4 days before it pipped and came out right on schedule. That was in an incubator. I have had a broody before and I didn't candle any of her eggs. If she pushed one out, I assumed it was bad and tossed it. I didn't open it, just tossed it out. I think with broodies, the timing might be a little different because the whole process isn't controlled like it is in an incubator. She may not have been sitting on these for a few days. They will gather eggs for a week many times to get enough to sit on. I would be patient and let the broody tell you.
Thanks so much! Gives us more hope

There has been no improvement no noise or the eggs moving so we massaged the lady we got the eggs from and she said we could try lightly sprinkling water over top to soften the shell a little bit just incase they can’t peck their way through. Not sure if it will work but will keep you guys updated!

Back
Top Bottom