Silky hatch-along and OdoBan on eggs experiment

Pics
I just got my incubator #1 fired up tonight. Just my eggs. I'm not ordering any more hatching eggs until the weather is warmer. At least the first week of April. I want more silkies in the worst kind of way but out of the five I have I'm hoping for at least 2 future mama hens.

I have 6 big Cornish cross ladies that I found out tonight can't be replaced. The particular # of the cross I have is not being sold this year. I may have to go with a few of the Jumbo Cornish cross girls this time and see if I can get them to laying age also. Meanwhile the 6 I have will get extra good care to keep them healthy and laying. If my silkies are as gentle and easy going as my Cornish cross hens are they will be very special.
If just two of those five are hens, this fall, you'll be crawling with little silkie chicks. Most of their parents, I can walk up to and pick up. They are used to me cutting around their eyes and they like it. ☺️

If just two of those five are hens, this fall, you'll be crawling with little silkie chicks. Most of their parents, I can walk up to and pick up. They are used to me cutting around their eyes and they like it. ☺️
That's what I'm hoping for. I will get some updated pictures soon. Those fizzle frazzle ones are so cute. I think one of those has a topknot on its head. They can run so fast around the brooder now ma gets on one side and I get on the other to catch them. They will settle down with age as they learn we bring the food and water every day. Instead of a hoop coop the silkies are getting a wooden structure coop in the middle of the run that is off the ground with a ramp to the door. I want it to have an outside door to collect eggs from. They will have a generous covered run but can't free range with hawks flying overhead sometimes as well as large breed roosters that are pets roaming around like they own the place.

That's what I'm hoping for. I will get some updated pictures soon. Those fizzle frazzle ones are so cute. I think one of those has a topknot on its head. They can run so fast around the brooder now ma gets on one side and I get on the other to catch them. They will settle down with age as they learn we bring the food and water every day. Instead of a hoop coop the silkies are getting a wooden structure coop in the middle of the run that is off the ground with a ramp to the door. I want it to have an outside door to collect eggs from. They will have a generous covered run but can't free range with hawks flying overhead sometimes as well as large breed roosters that are pets roaming around like they own the place.
Mine have been ticking me off they are still acting like I'm the monster, except for the runt. She likes me lol.

Try some chopped up scrambled eggs in your hand. Oh my God they were all over me then. Hubby wanted to do it so a few hours later, we scrambled up some more, then he did it and same thing. We were giggling.

Runt gets interested in the woodpeckers and makes funny peeps to them.

IMG_0663.jpeg

We gave ours the run of the full brooder that is 4x8' and they use it. The heat lamp is still own but they don't seem to use it at all. The sun room has an independent heating/cooling system from the house and that is set to keep the room temp at 65-70 degrees. The heat lamp keeps the whole room that warm so it is seldom needed now. The next 3 nights it will run as temps drop to the low 30's. Generator is on stand by at those temps as they just don't have enough feathers yet to withstand cold and would be in danger of crushing each other in a corner. I need to modify the corners with a curved piece of something like the PVC board all of these political signs that are up everywhere are made of. I'm wondering if the kids would be insulted if one of those on the corner by our place was used to make their safety corners out of?

We gave ours the run of the full brooder that is 4x8' and they use it. The heat lamp is still own but they don't seem to use it at all. The sun room has an independent heating/cooling system from the house and that is set to keep the room temp at 65-70 degrees. The heat lamp keeps the whole room that warm so it is seldom needed now. The next 3 nights it will run as temps drop to the low 30's. Generator is on stand by at those temps as they just don't have enough feathers yet to withstand cold and would be in danger of crushing each other in a corner. I need to modify the corners with a curved piece of something like the PVC board all of these political signs that are up everywhere are made of. I'm wondering if the kids would be insulted if one of those on the corner by our place was used to make their safety corners out of?
Just tell them you stole their sign and they need to bring another. Good way to get company again and if they don't have any more signs, awe shucks! ☺️

For keeping track.

Set 16 of my fancy silkies. Holding on to them now for @2ndTink
Set 9 paint, 2 "gray" and 1 "black mottled." I don't know what the latter are but guess we'll find out in 20/21 day. Here we go with another batch of shipped eggs in the middle of the winter lol.
Whoohoo! I love the winter hatches to keep us going through thr cold months! I just don't like having to be a long term chickie B&B 🤣

I gave the little brats a boiled egg yolk last night in a small plastic pan. They looked and looked from a safe distance and one finally walked up to the edge and started at the yellow stuff. The he backed up as none one came up with him. He finally got up close again and attached it with a kill style peck to make sure it was harmless. He grabbed a piece and threw it as to kill it. The second attack he ate a small piece. About that time another chick came up and to a bite and then decided it was actually food. The the rest of the clan came in and ate like they hadn't been fed in a week. The one with feathers growing in reverse is part pig the way it eats. It looks so funny as he is all fluffy butt from behind.

Fluffy butts have some pasty butts again. Going to have a roundup first thing in the morning and deal with it. They cleaned up there egg yolk today very quickly. They remembered what it was.
Awe, the big bad egg yold is not so scary today ☺️

I hope you can get that pasty butt cleared up quickly, not fun.

Back
Top Bottom