Sit'n on the porch

The little church in the vale.

Two loads of laundry, two raised beds and their paths weeded. I got the day's Japanese Beetle harvest and gave about 10 to the littles while the big birds ate the rest. One of my Blue Australorps, Stormy, was the first to try them and figure out that they're good to eat! She's my brave girl of the chicks.

Picked my first tomatoes today. Yay! They aren't the type I thought they were, and they won't be much for canning. Boo! But they taste good. Yay! Two yays and a boo. Good enough.

Hooray for fresh grown tomatoes.

Thanks @GrandmaDeKorte! I dipped her into the warm water and it was like she was having a spa treatment!!! She never flinched once:)

I named her Farrah faucett because she is my flighty blonde. Little did I know that she would love the “blow out” so much! :idunno
Hope everyone had a good day and good afternoon to our friends down under!

Cheers and thanks again

When I got my new chicks I had two (2) Barred Rocks had bum buts.

I put them in a warm pan of water to soak their buts.

Once they were clean I put each one in a towel and held them till they were dry.

They were fine as long as they were covered up, but uncover them and they wanted down.

Porchers good morning one and all!

Don't forget to take a break, grab something to drink, and sit on the porch.

Have a great day!
Good Morning to you and all,
I have had 1/2 a cup of hot nettle tea while getting the meat ready and put in the oven at 275. I'll let it cook slow all day.
I got the dogs fed, and I still need to go scoop the coop.
I hope I can find some cheep fun play thing for the grandkids, 5 play things Loololololo
I havent given them anything for quite a while, one BD was in Jan. one in June, the next are Aug. Oct. & Dec. Its always fun to get an unexpected something at Grandmas house.
Maybe a new board game from the Feed Store / Co-Op, they love to play board games.

I'll see you all in the morning, it will be a long day today, volume level LOUD hahahah, the dogs love the kids and will be so happy to see them.

dda0577edc6a2c8ddd7b3ada32cf1416.jpg

Good morning and thanks for the input ❤️. She walks up and down the plank to the perch at night and she is the one gal that doesnt fly up on the outdoor roost and stays pretty calm through the days. How high would you place outdoor roosts for your chicks?

I have given her half of a baby aspirin last night and will give her another dose today…then keep track on how long it takes to get her back to normal.

Chickens are new to my life as of Covid. There is so much to know and I am glad to have so many people that give so much of themselves to help us newbies.
Let me check. I promise to reply later. For some reason my brain does not recall it. There is a height to flight formula as well that applies.

Thanks @GrandmaDeKorte! I dipped her into the warm water and it was like she was having a spa treatment!!! She never flinched once:)

I named her Farrah faucett because she is my flighty blonde. Little did I know that she would love the “blow out” so much! :idunno
Hope everyone had a good day and good afternoon to our friends down under!

Cheers and thanks again
Mine love the blow drier on low. I will trim really messy feathers. A little space helps to prevent future build up.

Let me check. I promise to reply later. For some reason my brain does not recall it. There is a height to flight formula as well that applies.
I cannot find the height to flight ratio but anything over a foot high should have a ramp or a step so they can get down without hurting themselves or risking bumblefoot. Now lighter birds like leghorns can do higher roosts without problems.

I cannot find the height to flight ratio but anything over a foot high should have a ramp or a step so they can get down without hurting themselves or risking bumblefoot. Now lighter birds like leghorns can do higher roosts without problems.
Thanks!!! I have a ramp inside the coop for the roost that they can walk up to and the night roosts are right next to the nesting boxes. the roost outside the nesting boxes is 26” off the ground. The roost in the run is taller at about 3 feet off the ground. I can work on a ramp going up to it or perhaps a shorter roost next to it or tree stump next to it.

Thanks again for your help.

Last edited:
I thought of this group while I was sitting on the porch today, cleaning garlic. I got about half of it done; the other half can wait. There are some HUGE cloves this time!

Our friend with the kidney infection came home from the hospital today! :celebrate I'll be going down to stay with him for a few hours, probably Wednesday and Friday, so his wife can go back to work. I asked about playing Trivial Pursuit, as I want to extend my winning streak.* His wife said he might fall asleep during the game.

*I have won every game of TP I've ever played. Yup, all one of them. :gig

Back
Top Bottom