Sit'n on the porch

Good morning everyone!

Where I live (Adelaide, South Australia) the weather forecast says 33 and mostly sunny. That's in Celsius and I think it's around 91 in Fahrenheit. I'm still on my first cuppa of the day - it's Tuesday morning, 7am.

Today I'm going to run the car over to the mechanic and catch the train back, then write a 2 page reference for someone I work with - it's for a specific purpose and must cover specific things. Later on, if there's time before my brain conks out, I'll do some more writing and if there's no time, I'll work on my emailing instead. At some point, a delivery from IKEA is expected so I'll be putting some flatpack together.

Have a lovely Monday evening everyone :frow

Last edited:
Good morning Porchers!

Woke up to 21 degrees this morning…it seems really cold even for November. I realize we are in the winter season but we went from fall to absolutely miserable cold.

We are getting 1-3 more inches of snow tonight…and im afraid to get the tractor out with the blower attachement. It has lawn tires on it and my fear is I will never get back up my hill on the driveway. Anyone have luck with chains on their tractor tires?

Have a wonderful day everyone…the sun is out and that is something to be grateful for.
Yes, we chain up everything. Never "lawn tires" but we have chained up 4-wheeler tires, and the bobcat tires, and our regular tractor (small Kubota) tires.

Chains for large tires cost a fortune.

And for a tractor, you might need weights, wheel weights or weights for the front. If it is a small light tractor it will stay on top of the snow and not move forward. The chains have to bite into the snow to get forward traction. That is what the weights are for, to help the tractor tires with the chains bite into the snow.

Good morning Porchers!

Woke up to 21 degrees this morning…it seems really cold even for November. I realize we are in the winter season but we went from fall to absolutely miserable cold.

We are getting 1-3 more inches of snow tonight…and im afraid to get the tractor out with the blower attachement. It has lawn tires on it and my fear is I will never get back up my hill on the driveway. Anyone have luck with chains on their tractor tires?

Have a wonderful day everyone…the sun is out and that is something to be grateful for.
Oh... is your driveway paved?

If it is gravel I worry that with only 3 inches of snow, if you use a blower, you will pick up all of the gravel from the driveway and run through a mess of shear-pins. (Or full on bust stuff).

With that little snow I would use a plow/ scrapper/ blade/ some such.

Good morning everyone!

Where I live (Adelaide, South Australia) the weather forecast says 33 and mostly sunny. That's in Celsius and I think it's around 91 in Fahrenheit. I'm still on my first cuppa of the day - it's Tuesday morning, 7am.

Today I'm going to run the car over to the mechanic and catch the train back, then write a 2 page reference for someone I work with - it's for a specific purpose and must cover specific things. Later on, if there's time before my brain conks out, I'll do some more writing and if there's no time, I'll work on my emailing instead. At some point, a delivery from IKEA is expected so I'll be putting some flatpack together.

Have a lovely Monday evening everyone :frow
Wow you have a busy day planned! Enjoy it while those of us on the other side of the earth try to stay warm😊. Cheers

Yes, we chain up everything. Never "lawn tires" but we have chained up 4-wheeler tires, and the bobcat tires, and our regular tractor (small Kubota) tires.

Chains for large tires cost a fortune.

And for a tractor, you might need weights, wheel weights or weights for the front. If it is a small light tractor it will stay on top of the snow and not move forward. The chains have to bite into the snow to get forward traction. That is what the weights are for, to help the tractor tires with the chains bite into the snow.
Thanks for the info!! Let me rephrase…I have a JD 1025R. It’s bigger than a lawn tractor, but not huge. I got lawn tires so they would chew up the grass. The snowblower is 54 inches and is a beast but the driveway is steep on the way up and I’m sure the tires won’t grip. Rookie mistake.

Thanks again

@GrandmaDeKorte….I see you are into homemade sauerkraut! I just whipped up my first batch and it is fermenting on the counter in the pantry. So excited to see how it turns out.

Do you have a rule of thumb cabbage to salt ratio? So many opinions.

I also would like to try garlic fermented honey. When we were kids and got sick, grandma would make us “homemade” cough syrup. It consisted of thinly sliced onions sprinkled with sugar. Once the syrup was generated, that was the elixir. I’m not brave enough to try that now but might make up a batch for fun when family comes for Christmas. 🥰

Thanks for the info!! Let me rephrase…I have a JD 1025R. It’s bigger than a lawn tractor, but not huge. I got lawn tires so they would chew up the grass. The snowblower is 54 inches and is a beast but the driveway is steep on the way up and I’m sure the tires won’t grip. Rookie mistake.

Thanks again
If you snow blow down then you should be able to drive back up the blown part, turn about, and blow down again.

Just don't try to blow or push, or anything when going uphill.

The lawn tires, if they are too smooth, will have trouble gripping the chains... so the tires might spin inside the chains.

The tighter you can get the chains the better.

Or just go redneck... plow/snowblow down hill, and use a winch to drag the tractor back uphill... well... how heavy is that tractor? :lau

If you snow blow down then you should be able to drive back up the blown part, turn about, and blow down again.

Just don't try to blow or push, or anything when going uphill.

The lawn tires, if they are too smooth, will have trouble gripping the chains... so the tires might spin inside the chains.

The tighter you can get the chains the better.

Or just go redneck... plow/snowblow down hill, and use a winch to drag the tractor back uphill... well... how heavy is that tractor? :lau
So let me give you some color…I moved out of the suburbs a year ago into the rural part of my town. I LOVE IT!!!! No neighbors with their dogs leaving their trail in your yard or people driving too fast down the street launching off the speed bump and throttling past the stop sign at the corner. I had to hide my chickens in the back yard while my neighbor chained her 4 pound toy doodle thing in the front yard that would make any rooster blush with the noise generated out of that pie hole.

I love where I live now. People are true to who they are and have no problem sticking up for what they believe in.

The first go on the tractor..(I named her Jane Doe😉) I got the bucket stuck on a dumpster…then the next day, the front wheels got stuck in a rut left by the utilities digging the lines for power.

I’m just a girl with a tractor trying to be a better person and live the life that God wants me to live.

I would love to snow bog with this thing but I’m afraid my euro trash import sedan wouldn't be able to bring her back up the hill🤣🤣. I can take a turn on 2 wheels but get traction up my gravel driveway…no dice!☺️

Back
Top Bottom