Slight Limp and Epsom Salt question

Lorus6

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 22, 2013
East Texas
We have 3 Mallard Ducklings. They are about 9 weeks old. One has a very slight limp and we noticed a small swollen spot with a tiny black dot on the bottom of his/her left foot. As i searched the boards here I noticed a lot of information about Bumblefoot and I wonder if that is what I have. (I will try to get a photo and post it later.)

I am hoping to nip this in the bud, so I bought some Epsom salt. I had thought to just add some to their little swimming pool, but I read that they cannot drink Epsom salts. I am wondering now how to use this to help his foot?

I am a definite newbie to ducks (and chickens) and right now our ducks are housed with our chickens, so I have to take extra care that everything is safe for both types of bird.

We have 3 Mallard Ducklings. They are about 9 weeks old. One has a very slight limp and we noticed a small swollen spot with a tiny black dot on the bottom of his/her left foot. As i searched the boards here I noticed a lot of information about Bumblefoot and I wonder if that is what I have. (I will try to get a photo and post it later.)

I am hoping to nip this in the bud, so I bought some Epsom salt. I had thought to just add some to their little swimming pool, but I read that they cannot drink Epsom salts. I am wondering now how to use this to help his foot?

I am a definite newbie to ducks (and chickens) and right now our ducks are housed with our chickens, so I have to take extra care that everything is safe for both types of bird.
Welcome to BYC, when I soak a ducks foot or leg I use a small bucket put about half full with nice warm water mix the epsom salt in this and dunk the duck into the bucket so it's standing with me holding on to it. I put both legs in since it's easier that way and let it soak for at least 5-10 mins how ever long you can with out causing stress to the duck. or a plastic dish pan but I think a small bucket would work best with your little guy. then after soak if you have some colorless iodine apply it with a qtip top and bottom of foot where the bumble is wait a couple days and do it again, the colorless iodine brings the bumble to the surface and after soaking a few more time the scab should come right off and the bumble may just come out with out cutting or anything else, when my hen had it I soaked used the iodine and after about a week was able to use a pair of sterilized tweezers and pull the plug right out. Please let us know if this is working for your duck. soak every other night and then apply the colorless iodine don't use the iodine every night

This is the offending foot :)
It is a very small swollen area, but it definitely irritates him and his limping seems to be increasing.

Miss Lydia, Thank you so much for your response! We will try soaking his feet, and I will find some clear iodine when we go out tomorrow.

I'll post his progress!

I just pulled a splinter out of Romy's foot and it looked like that, but bigger.

I think there may be a small splinter broken off right at the skin surface. If that is the case, Epsom salt compresses may help draw it out a little, or a grated raw potato bandage, but likely a pair of fine-tipped tweezers, a buddy to hold the duck, and some reading glasses (well, I would need some readers, anyway), to get the splinter out.

And then I'd do the iodine like Miss Lydia said.

Amiga, Thank you! I will check for that possibility first! It is a tiny well defined dot, it could be a splinter or thorn...

Please let us know.

I checked Romy's foot one day and saw nothing - decided to look again the next day and there it was - actually, I found it when I rubbed my finger across the bottom of her foot pad (heel), and actually felt the splinter sticking out a tiny bit.

Felt bad having missed it the first time.

This is the offending foot :)
It is a very small swollen area, but it definitely irritates him and his limping seems to be increasing.

Miss Lydia, Thank you so much for your response! We will try soaking his feet, and I will find some clear iodine when we go out tomorrow.

I'll post his progress!
That does look like some maybe in there.

When we first checked Afro's foot it didn't feel like a splinter, but today, I was able to remove a small something from his foot. He was the best patient! I have clear iodine to put on the spot.
I will watch him and post his progress!
Thank you all for the advice and encouragement!

When we first checked Afro's foot it didn't feel like a splinter, but today, I was able to remove a small something from his foot. He was the best patient! I have clear iodine to put on the spot.
I will watch him and post his progress!
Thank you all for the advice and encouragement!
Awesome!! now you have to stay on BYC and visit us often with pics of course.
wink.png
hope he continues to heal now.

Quick update on Afro's foot: I believe we are fully healed! He is walking fine and his foot looks almost normal - We did Epsom salt soaks and clear Iodine after removing the foreign object.
I really appreciate the help!

Back
Top Bottom