Sluggish Momma Hen?

AltonaAcres

Crowing
Jan 13, 2019
Hey y'all! I'm back from my trip. Anyways, you may remember me asking about caring for a broody hen, and.............while I was gone my broody made her grand reappearance with 6 chicks! Now, there are 5 chicks, because my little cousins got to them while I was gone. But, I was just wondering, they all seem super healthy, but the mommy Penelope seems to spend a lot of her time sitting on her babies. Is that normal that she sits on them so much? Or is she sick and lethargic? She probably sits on them 2-3 times in the 1 and a half hour period I am doing chores. I know chicks need to be warm/rest a lot, but I was just curious. We do have a few cases of Mareks in our flock, so I just want to be sure she's ok. They are all eating/drinking/pooping, and none are limping. Thanks!

That’s definitely normal! The chicks will be cold a lot, even if you have very nice weather (in eighty degree weather chicks I’ve had in the past still did their cold peeps!). Mama knows when they need to be sat upon and she will take good care of them!

Back
Top Bottom