Sluggish Momma Hen?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by AltonaAcres, Apr 2, 2019.

1. AltonaAcres

AltonaAcres Songster

Jan 13, 2019
    Hey y'all! I'm back from my trip. Anyways, you may remember me asking about caring for a broody hen, and.............while I was gone my broody made her grand reappearance with 6 chicks! Now, there are 5 chicks, because my little cousins got to them while I was gone. But, I was just wondering, they all seem super healthy, but the mommy Penelope seems to spend a lot of her time sitting on her babies. Is that normal that she sits on them so much? Or is she sick and lethargic? She probably sits on them 2-3 times in the 1 and a half hour period I am doing chores. I know chicks need to be warm/rest a lot, but I was just curious. We do have a few cases of Mareks in our flock, so I just want to be sure she's ok. They are all eating/drinking/pooping, and none are limping. Thanks!

Abriana likes this.
  2. BarnhartChickens98

BarnhartChickens98 Crowing

Oct 28, 2018
    Manhiem, Pennnsylvania
    As far as I know that seems normal, she will allow them to sit under her whenever they are cold.

AltonaAcres likes this.
  3. Abriana

Abriana Spicy Sugar Cookie

Apr 26, 2017
    Fools Gold
    That’s definitely normal! The chicks will be cold a lot, even if you have very nice weather (in eighty degree weather chicks I’ve had in the past still did their cold peeps!). Mama knows when they need to be sat upon and she will take good care of them!

4. AltonaAcres

AltonaAcres Songster

Jan 13, 2019
    Thank you guys so much! It is pretty cold here, 40-50 degrees currently.

Abriana likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: