Small mother big chicks..?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Swastik Choudhari, Mar 3, 2018.

1. Swastik Choudhari

Swastik Choudhari Songster

Feb 23, 2018
    Hey i m new to chicken keeping...i have chicken who is laying and by looking at her behavior i think she will go broody soon...she is a native Indian chicken( also known as country chicken or Desi chickens) .... I m thinking to give her eggs of Aseel/Asil wich are at their adult size are 3× or 4× bigger than her.

My question is will she leave her chicks very early...as they will grow bigger..? Or she will raise chicks as she normally raise..??

2. happyhens1972

happyhens1972 Songster

Jul 24, 2013
    Worcester, UK
    The size of the chicks will make no difference to her mothering at all but you will need to consider her size versus the size of the eggs. If you give her too many large eggs, she will not be able to cover them properly and they will either not develop, or have developmental issues, so you will not get a hatch or you'll get a very poor hatch rate. When you put the eggs under her, it is important that she is fully covering them and you can see no egg 'poking out' from under her.

3. Swastik Choudhari

Swastik Choudhari Songster

Feb 23, 2018
    Yep...those eggs are larger then her..so im just going to give her 5 of them..n make sure she cover it..!!

azygous likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: