Small rant - don't round up my restaurant check!

Quote:
I would most definitely put up a stink!

Most of the restaurants that add a percentage to your bill have that information stated on the menu. It is often for large groups.

We often get the 15% added to the check because we have 10 kids - 8 who eat the restaurant food (the twins are only bottles yet, fun of infants).

If a place doesn't do the 15% add on because most of the kids are young, we give a pretty big tip. Our kids are really well behaved in public because we are "mean" parents, but I know most servers go "OMG, kids, ack!" because we see how horrible a lot of people let their kids be and servers have to deal with the mess the kids make. Seriously, we think nothing of giving a 40-50% tip if the server is good and they don't add on.

They add on, we will usually add another 5% because 20% seems piddly considering they make 2.13 an hour and while yes, our kids are well mannered and not dumping ketchup on the table to play with, it's still a lot of work to deal with. But we don't feel like playing nice because they already added the bill up.

If it's a place that can not automatically add the 15% or a server can remove it - they add it none the less, we don't add more. Snotty, sure. But if you think our well-mannered children who aren't making a mess or running around like uncontrolled monsters are an automatic 15% add on despite very seldom needing drink refills or anything else from you, we don't really feel like being nice.

Yes, I'm saying my kids are extremely well-mannered if we eat out. If they aren't, one of us will calmly take them out to the car and wait. Heck, our 14 y/o will take them to the car and wait because she knows she'll get rewarded for being the parent for a bit. Once they've pulled that stunt, they don't go out to a sit down restaurant for a while because they haven't earned that reward. They know they sit nicely at the table, they are quiet and ask for items nicely, they don't throw food, spill things to make a mess, or any other behavior that I'd not allow at our home table.

Personally, I'd rather see the tip be automatic for the people who let their kids be hellions in public. Your child runs around, bothers other customers, throws food, spits at the server and other such ill-mannered behavior, you pay an automatic 50% tip. If the place won't remove an ill-mannered child and their parents, make them pay for such behavior. I know other customers then tip less because they are cranky at the ill-mannered child.

We've had ONE place try to round up the change with an added on tip. Erm yeah. That didn't go over. At all. They did it to a CC. That payment got disputed. I had the reciept showing it was 53.12 or whatever, they ran it and kept it at 65 or whatever. The bank did not like that anymore than we did.

The Pennsylvania minimum wage for tipped employees is $2.83 per hour, higher then the federal minimum wage for tipped employees of $2.13 per hour. The Pennsylvania tipped wage applies to employees like waitresses, waiters, bartenders, valets, and other service employees who earn more then $30 in tips a month.
Including tips and cash wages, all tipped employees must still earn at least the Pennsylvania Minimum Wage of $7.25 per hour. If a Pennsylvania employee does not earn at least $7.25 including tips in any given hour of work, their employer must make up the difference in cash.​

Quote:

Another reason I'm happy to live in Canada
roll.png

Only 1 province/territory lowers the wages to $8.25 an hour for tipped employees. If you are a waitress, you will be making more than I do around here.. I am an accountant.

Last edited:
We tip 20% on average, unless the service was horrible. Generally, I dislike eating out. Hubby and myself are foodies, so usually I get disappointed dining out. I can make just about everything myself and the prices are horrendous for what you get. The best place to eat is our own table.

Can I live there?
wink.png
Minimum wage here is 7.25 an hour, but servers here ( in my state at least ) get the 2.13 an hour. If you don't make at least minimum, they pay it on your check. I quit serving because I was working one day a week, and would be lucky to make 20 dollars. And I'm not offended myself, I am so happy to not be a server anymore. Or servant, as I ended up calling it.

Quote:
2 something an hour?! In what world?!

Minimum wage is nearly $10 an hour here (or will be in April 2012). If I get a snotty waitress, I would not tip. Tipping is reserved for those who work for it. It's not just assumed.

For those of you who have been waitresses/waiters, sorry if I offend. I've worked in the service industry as well. Retail to be specific. I know how hard it is to deal with customers, but really.. If you aren't pleasant to the customers, you shouldn't expect anything in return.

I would never withhold a tip from someone who was over-busy or as a result of a food mix up. It's all to do with attitude/friendliness in my opinion.

x2

We go to trade shows and fairs almost every weekend so we eat out a lot. Yes, we can afford to pay nearly $50 for our meal and yes, the 48 cents isn't that much, it's just the principal of the thing. Sometimes the bill is in the low 40s and I give $60, so I'm not going to tell the wait person to "keep the change." I am a good tipper, but not that good! I know waiters/waitresses get a low hourly wage, so I do tip well.

I'm sure all of us would scream for the manager at Wal-Mart, the grocery store, the gas station, or anywhere else when we pay with bills and get shorted. I would, I do, and I always will.

My family and friends are now watching their restaurant checks and change, and they have discovered the same thing. Maybe it's a southern thing?

I just hope all y'all will notice now and see just how often you get "robbed" of your change!

Yup, attitude is what makes or breaks the tip here.

Worst/best case of that for us - we were at Applebees, ordered the cheese quesadilla. Got chicken wings. Erm, not at all what we ordered, plus would NEVER eat those from a chain place. Mentioned that we'd ordered the quesadilla, waitress got huffy "I brought you whatever you ordered, you just don't remember what you ordered!" and stalked off. And there went her tip.

Table behind us asked about the problem, turns out they'd ordered the wings and gotten a quesadilla. We just swapped plates.

It really wasn't a big deal, and pretty easy to fix. None of us were upset at the mix up, things happen. But cop that attitude, and well we aren't feeling like you've done your job.

Quote:
yup-bad tip there for me but I wouldn't stiff anyone either-maybe 10% and a talking to-after I had eaten all my food so as not to have it spit in before served to me!
hide.gif

Back
Top Bottom