Smooth silkie leg injury please help!

Tmartin7711

Songster
Aug 22, 2020
Hello everyone I have a smooth paint silkie hen who hurt her foot/leg. Born in August. Not sure how she hurt herself. She was limping so I took her and put her in a separate cage. Her toes are curled, and she keeps sticking her leg out when trying to walk. No signs of a broken bone or swelling not even open wounds. I honestly have no clue. She is still eating and drinking normally. Still observant to everything and talking. Leaning on her right side which is her good leg. Any guesses anything helps.

Hello everyone I have a smooth paint silkie hen who hurt her foot/leg. Born in August. Not sure how she hurt herself. She was limping so I took her and put her in a separate cage. Her toes are curled, and she keeps sticking her leg out when trying to walk. No signs of a broken bone or swelling not even open wounds. I honestly have no clue. She is still eating and drinking normally. Still observant to everything and talking. Leaning on her right side which is her good leg. Any guesses anything helps.
Well keeping her in a small area to rest is important. If you have access to a veterinarian that is likely your best bet. Otherwise do a thorough inspection feeling the whole leg from toes to body to ensure there are no injuries.

Ensure you check for broken nails, my rooster tore a nail off back in the summer. Also check k the bottom of the foot for sores. Good luck, keep us updated.

Same here, I'm not much help, except to propose seeing if you can keep her with her friends. If she is not getting picked on excessively, and you can help her roost and provide for her needs, in general chickens cope with injuries and stress and do much better if kept with their flock-mates. If she needs to sleep in a nestbox instead of the roost, allow or provide for that. If she needs food or water placed near her during the day, help that way. Isolation is a big stress on them and best avoided if possible.

Same here, I'm not much help, except to propose seeing if you can keep her with her friends. If she is not getting picked on excessively, and you can help her roost and provide for her needs, in general chickens cope with injuries and stress and do much better if kept with their flock-mates. If she needs to sleep in a nestbox instead of the roost, allow or provide for that. If she needs food or water placed near her during the day, help that way. Isolation is a big stress on them and best avoided if possible.
Problem is she can't walk very well.

It could be an injury, but not likely. An injured leg usually still works and the chicken will limp or hold it up under their belly because it hurts.

More likel this hen is becoming symptomatic from an avian virus, either Marek's or avian leucosis. I had three pullets two years ago with the exact symptoms. I documented it here. https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...update-now-another-pullet-going-lame.1432738/ With each pullet it began with one leg stopping functioning and the chicken walked by holding it out in front.

What happens is the sciatic nerve becomes inflamed, and the leg stops working. Then the other leg is involved, then the rest of the body. My pullets all were super exposed to a broody hen with leucosis, becoming infected from her shed virus laden dander as they slept under her.

If this is what your hen has, it will continue to get worse despite everything you try to do for her. If you read through my thread, you will get some ideas as to everything one can try when confronted with these symptoms. I treated with everything from vitamins E, B-2, B-6, B-12, vitamin E and selenium, antibiotics, and even an anti-viral med. None of the affected pullets survived.

It could be an injury, but not likely. An injured leg usually still works and the chicken will limp or hold it up under their belly because it hurts.

More likel this hen is becoming symptomatic from an avian virus, either Marek's or avian leucosis. I had three pullets two years ago with the exact symptoms. I documented it here. https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...update-now-another-pullet-going-lame.1432738/ With each pullet it began with one leg stopping functioning and the chicken walked by holding it out in front.

What happens is the sciatic nerve becomes inflamed, and the leg stops working. Then the other leg is involved, then the rest of the body. My pullets all were super exposed to a broody hen with leucosis, becoming infected from her shed virus laden dander as they slept under her.

If this is what your hen has, it will continue to get worse despite everything you try to do for her. If you read through my thread, you will get some ideas as to everything one can try when confronted with these symptoms. I treated with everything from vitamins E, B-2, B-6, B-12, vitamin E and selenium, antibiotics, and even an anti-viral med. None of the affected pullets survived.
Did they pass it to other chickens

Back
Top Bottom