Sneezing chicken - what do I do?

Granolamom

Songster
11 Years
Sep 9, 2008
Dallas
Seems like ever since we moved our previously free-ranging flock into their brand-new, huge pen in the back, our oldest (and so far ONLY egg-laying) 8-month old BR hen, Frieda, has had a heck of a time adjusting. She layed off and on for another few days, after we moved them, and then stopped alltogether. I first thought that it was the move, along with winter temps here in GA, but now she seems to have developed a sneeze, that occurs every few seconds, and she looks kind of scrawny. She seems to eat, poop and harrass the younger hens just like she always has, but I'm worried about the sneezing, which has lasted for about a week now.
Do chickens just get normal colds that go away on their own, or do I need to take some action?

Start by removing her from the rest of your flock and putting her in isolation in a nice cozy, quiet place. Make sure she has plenty of food and water, and keep a close eye on her. Track her symptoms, and if it continues or worsens, you will need to take action. Its hard to say what it could be, but I am sure someone will have an idea
smile.png

Thank you, I think I'll do just that. I'm just trying to decide if I should put in in a small pen inside the house (I do have one we initially used for the chicklets when they were just a few weeks old), or if I should keep her in sight of her flock.
She is one crazy chicken, that Frieda! I just got back from checking on her, and watched her attack Chuck, her "husband", who tried to mate with one of the younger hens. She won't even let him get close to ANY of them...
I hope she'll be okay, she's my favorite, wacky as she is...

Back
Top Bottom