Snow storm and damaged duck run

Duckiemom524

Chirping
Sep 26, 2018
We are having a snow storm here with heavy wet snow. I have been shoveling snow off top of top of the run so it does cave in. However now a tree fell on top not only scaring my two perkin ducks but putting a hole in the wire on top of run. I have covered it with tarp and something to hold it down but if more fall (which is highly possible) it may destroy my run. I can’t let duck have free range because of trees falling but also predators around. If I have to bring them inside what will it do to them with the extreme temp changes from outside to inside? So far the duckhouse attaches to their run is not damaged but I can’t lock them in it all the time. Any thoughts or suggestions?

This might not be much help, but when I was a kid we had outdoor pet rabbits in cold Michigan. We had to move away for 3 month for my fathers job and temporarily relocated our pet rabbits with their hutches to a friends backyard. The friends didn't know any better and brought them inside during the winter to play with them and they next day they had died. We all believed it to be from the drastic temp change. This of course might not be the same for ducks, or maybe that was not the true reason our rabbits died. But I have always been careful with my current pets and temperature.
I too would suggested putting them somewhere as close to the current outdoor temp as you can. So sorry to hear your run is taking a beating! I hope you can get it fixed up as soon as the storm is over!

They should be fine with the temp change as long as you don't put them in the heated part of your house. Like @Miss Lydia said, just put them in the coolest room. I had to bring in a injured duck a while back and was also afraid the temp change would be bad for her. I put her in an unheated room and she was fine. I'm so sorry this happened to you :hugs - I'm sitting here watching to see if my run is going to hold up to a big snow too. :fl

Never crossed my mind before. -10 out i braught 3 ducks into the warmest room i have with the wood stove then right back out

Attachments

• 20181227_142104.jpg
    20181227_142104.jpg
    471.9 KB · Views: 9

Back
Top Bottom