So, I got a question

Ansleigh

In the Brooder
Oct 19, 2017
Alabama
I’m new a keeping chickens and it’s a thing me and my mom do, we got 5 chicks and 2 didn’t make it but they are about 4 months old and we have no idea what breed they are. We thought we had 2 hens and 1 rooster but when my mom went on the group page on Facebook posting a question about what breed they are and why they weren’t going in their coop. Everyone was commenting that they were all Roos and we have no idea what to do and where to take them. I do not want them to be killed or eaten, is there any where I can take them?

Attachments

• 95514FD2-24FA-4142-974F-15E6C0ED838C.jpeg
    95514FD2-24FA-4142-974F-15E6C0ED838C.jpeg
    428.9 KB · Views: 13
Yes, those three are all roosters. If you want to keep them all as pets, you can. A group of roosters like that with no hens will get along well.

There is a great thread from not long ago that would be interesting to you.
Title:
" Rooster Flocks! "

Unless roosters aren't allowed in your area there's no reason you absolutely have to get rid of them.

Thanks for the help, I have another question too. Do you guys know what kind of roosters we have..? When we got them as chicks the breeder said they were New Hampshire Reds but I guess not.

They look like mixed breed birds to me. Perhaps some Light Sussex in them or more likely Columbian rock since they have yellow shanks but the bird on the far left also appears to have some gold/red leakage, so not pure Rocks. If the person that bred them and sold them said they were New Hampshire Reds then they clearly knew little which makes it all the more likely they are mixed breed birds. Keeping them together without hens, just as pretty but noisy pets should be fine if there are no local restrictions. I can't help you as regards rehoming. I accepted long ago that there are no forever homes for the majority of unwanted cockerels and eating them is the most sensible option but it's difficult when you have reared them as pets.

Back
Top Bottom