So long, and thanks for all the...

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by BFeathered, Oct 29, 2008.

1. BFeathered

BFeathered Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2008
    North Texas
    My dogs got into the coop, this time I'm not sure how. Yet again, I have dead chickens, except for one lone survivor, a 6wk old baby. I am now officially done. The tractor and the survivor are being rehomed, and my daughter will hate me forever. (she's 11, so I'm sure the hormones and teenage rebellion will now be official and well.... I am her mother) I'd like to thank everyone here for providing a wealth of information, humor and support. You are a wonderful community of people. May all your eggs be delicious, fertile and colorful; may all your dinner tables be graced with the fruit of your loving labors (whatever dinner may be!). As Douglas Adams wisely said (or was that really the dolphins?)

"So long, and thanks for all the fish"

2. Anny

Anny Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Detroit Michigan
    I'm so sorry for your loss.

Dogs will be dogs, I know my dog would do the same if she got a chance to be alone in the yard with the chickens out in their run.

3. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Awe...I'm so sorry to hear your news! Wish you wouldn't give up, though! I'm sure there's a way you can make your coop/run predator proof...so many folks on here have gone through what you're going through and have made adjustments that worked. Sure hope you would reconsider your decision...we'll miss you! [​IMG]

4. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

i'd rehome the dog,, cant get no good eggs from him/her anyways,, and they taste awful :eek:

5. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Someone on here should be willing to help u out if u wanna start again....If my hens were laying I would help!!!! My pullets started laying a few days ago, so maybe I'll have some in a few weeks, provided the roos start doing it again....

6. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Try again. C'mon, ya know ya want to.

7. hatchaholic

hatchaholic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    South Carolina
    Sorry that happened. My black lab killed two of my turkeys. She kept digging out from the fence, even with an electric fence. The turkeys didn't even stand a chance because they weren't afraid of her. Anyway, I got a REALLY strong electric fence and she doesn't even come near the fence line anymore.

I'd send you some eggs, but right now I have mutts.

8. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

ya can come down here and get some chicks from me,, i got NHR, RIR,RIW,EE, and mutts.lol

9. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Darn...you're still welcome whether you have birds or not, ya know...

10. jacyjones

jacyjones Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Aberystwyth, Wales
    Sorry to hear of your loss - don't give up. There is so much pleasure from keeping chickens - we all have to accept the losses and carry on. Get some more - try the electric fence thing.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by