So what if GMO corn causes cancer

It may interest you to know the GMO can and does occur naturally. All of us carry a lot of junk DNA in our genome that was introduced into it over the millenia by viruses and bacteria.
Its not a natural v/s not issue, its a new an unknown v/s old an known issue. Sure, a GMO may pop up an us think it is the same old plant, cant help that. But that does not make it ok to make a new plant that looks like the old plant an then say it is still the same when you know it is not.

on October 17 Wednesday, there is a show on Dr OZ on ABC where they are going to talk about GMOs. Apperantly they have people from both sides of the (position) on GMOs. It is on at 4pm central standard time. I think I am going to watch it and see what they have to say.

sheesh - i can't believe you don't trust the corporations that enrich themselves by selling inferior GMO foodstuff

it's not like... they would LIE to us

and besides, monsato chicken tastes good

From what I've seen and read GMO crops are substandard compared to the original variety. Not to mention GMO crops are more expensive than the natural ones, stemming from the issue that most, if not all, are unable to produce seeds. Meaning that the cost of planting them yearly is increased. Rats and mice are used in studies, because illness and disease manifest quickly in them due to the how sensitive their bodies are. As opposed it gradually manifesting in humans. They also have many genetic similarities with humans. The genes of rats are also well-known and it is easier to pinpoint which genes were damaged from the experiments. GMO crops are also an issue, because they hybridize with the pure strains, effectively eliminating the original varieties. The genetic manipulation utilized in their creation also causes problems with other organisms. GMOs are modified to repel pest insects, but this also causes super strains of pest insects, who are in turn resistant to the repellent effect of the GMOS, which also causes them to be resistant to commercially used pesticides.

GMO crops effectively cause more problems than they solve.

The first GMO food in the American marketplace was 1994; hardly 35 years ago. It was a complete bust...no one liked the "flaver saver" tomato. Since then, everything has snuck in quietly, with no labeling, no way to know what is in your food.

I agree that they are using the American public as experimental animals in this case. 1994 to 2012 is a short time, not quite a generation. We probably won't know the effects of GMO foods for another thirty years. Science evolves, and many things get onto the marketplace that are later found to be unwholesome, dangerous or even lethal. Benzine, Thalidomide, BPA, organochloride pesticides, lead in paint, heroin, etc have all been used, thought to be healthy alternatives to what existed, and now are banned, or suspect.

I'm not ready to say that GMO is good or bad. I think the fact of the matter is there hasn't been enough research. I do know that pesticide and herbicide use is actually going up now due to GMO crops. The grace period is over, just as it is for antibiotics. Organisms develop resistance, and you are only left with those that can withstand the insult. I will continue to avoid most GMO food crops because I think the verdict is still out.

I still say that if it was completely wholesome, wonderful etc; growers would want their product labeled. Because they do not, it certainly begs the question of why.
There are far more non-GMO foods that people consume daily that are far worse for you and cause cancer, one study said food cooked on a BBQ was cancer causing. I am not sure they really know what really causes cancer anyhow.

sheesh - i can't believe you don't trust the corporations that enrich themselves by selling inferior GMO foodstuff

it's not like... they would LIE to us

and besides, monsato chicken tastes good
Or the government agencies that regulate them and whom we continue to look to to stop the evil corporations. They are one in the same IMO.

I don't think there are any regulations on them.
Wrong

http://www.pewtrusts.org/uploadedFi...s/Food_and_Biotechnology/hhs_biotech_0901.pdf

pop.gif

Back
Top Bottom