Sore from brooding? LEG MITES!!!! HELP PLEASE!!!

Jewels1935

Chirping
8 Years
Nov 4, 2011
Central Florida
My Silkie hen just had 3 beautiful babies hatch today. 2 more are due. Problem is, she's having a hard time moving around..kinda limping in the hamper. is it common for a broody hen to get a dead leg or anything from sitting 21 days? She has sat nonstop 23 days now. She's acting fine otherwise..

Thanks!

Last edited:
None of my broodies have ever gotten gimpy from brooding. I would check her over.

Good luck.

I found a post here with exact photos of what it looks like...LEG MITES
ep.gif
What can I use that I could find in my home tonight to relieve any pain? What about her babies? Her hamper is clean..I wonder if she picked them up outside before becoming broody and being brought inside?

I smother their legs with something oily, I use thick udder balm (mineral oil based), personally, or vaseline. I've also heard of using Pam cooking spray. I'd put some bug stuff on her whole body, and additionally treat the legs.

Yes, the bugs could have manifested while she was sitting.

Quote:
Thankyou! I have bag balm , would that work till I can get some vaseline? What about vicks vapor rub. Should I apply to the babies feet too? Omg poor girl
sad.png

Either one would work. I use Bag Balm on a variety of ills with my birds. And I'd do the babies' feet as well. It won't harm them and may actually help prevent them from getting them.

I went ahead and applied the bag balm. She's ticked off!
barnie.gif
She's still sitting on 2 eggs but I had to remove her, apply the cream and change her bedding. She's back on the nest protesting at me. Her 3 chicks are back under her, and she grabbed her last 2 eggs. She's still mad though...
hide.gif
How often should I apply this? I will dust ALL my chickens and their areas asap. At least mama is inside.

Quote:
Their feet are so tiny!! I'll have hubs help when he gets home. I'll use a q-tip for them. Thanks for the help! I apllied the cream and some of the scabs fell off. I put her back down and she actually seemed better with the balm on her feet.

Back
Top Bottom