Sour Crop in a year old hen.....Help please!

BrahmaGirl2018

Songster
Aug 1, 2018
I have a year old Light Brahma, Benedict who seems to be suffering from sour crop from what I have read on here and other articles online. The whole flock was treated for Coccidiosis back in June. She seemed to be feeling better and eating and drinking well for a bit. Then I noticed she started going to bed early, and would just stand around with her head pulled in and dozing throughout the day. It's been very hot and humid here, so I thought maybe the heat was getting to her. I noticed her crop the other evening looking larger than it normally does, but I just assumed she had eaten well (I did NOT check or notice that morning if it was full). Yesterday morning first thing, I checked her because I could look at her and tell it was still full. She has lost A LOT of weight. I didn't realize how thin she was until I picked her up to feel her crop. The crop was firm but still squishy if that makes sense. About the size of a tennis ball maybe. I immediately started reading about crop issues...I am thinking she has sour crop. She does NOT have the distinctive odor or the liquid coming out of her mouth that I have read about but I did not realize how thin she was until I picked her up to check her out. She is dangerously thin I feel. Her fluff has helped hide the weight loss I guess. I started Miconazle 7 yesterday (she had 2 doses) and massaged her crop for about 10 minutes after her dose. Did the same this morning. This AM her crop is still enlarged but seemed a bit smaller after I massaged it (could be wishful thinking). She seems a bit more perkier so far this morning...we will see has the day goes on how she does I guess. Any help, advice or direction would be much appreciated!

* I added probiotics to their water yesterday and Durvet Vitamins with Electrolytes in their water today.

Keep up with all you're currently doing to treat, but drop the massage. It's not a good idea when sour crop is involved because it's too easy for the sour liquid to back up into the airway. Chickens can die in just a few seconds if the vomit chokes off the airway.

That she appears perkier after just one day of yeast meds, should indicate you've made the right call. Keep up with the miconazole twice a day for a full seven days regardless of any dramatic improvement. Feed boiled egg, Greek yogurt and keep up with the probiotics.

Keep up with all you're currently doing to treat, but drop the massage. It's not a good idea when sour crop is involved because it's too easy for the sour liquid to back up into the airway. Chickens can die in just a few seconds if the vomit chokes off the airway.

That she appears perkier after just one day of yeast meds, should indicate you've made the right call. Keep up with the miconazole twice a day for a full seven days regardless of any dramatic improvement. Feed boiled egg, Greek yogurt and keep up with the probiotics.

She is still with her flock...should she not have access to the crumble? I really haven't seen her eating it to be honest but don't want her eating anything that is counter productive. I will stop the massages.

She can have access to her crumbles, but she may be more inclined to eat the other foods during this period. One of the dangers of crop disorders is starvation. Just avoid carbs.

She can have access to her crumbles, but she may be more inclined to eat the other foods during this period. One of the dangers of crop disorders is starvation. Just avoid carbs.

Today is day #4 of her treatment. She is doing better (I think). She is eating more...she seems to A LOT more energy. I haven't caught her sleeping like she was. She stayed out with the other girl until right before dark instead of retreating to bed at like 6-6:30. The only thing that concerns me now is that this morning, I checked her crop, and it seemed harder than previous days. It still has not completely gone down, but has been noticeably smaller each day. Do I need to do anything else at this point or just wait until she has had 7 days of the Miconazole 7? (She is eating her crumbles, boiled egg, and water with probiotics and whatever she finds while roaming the yard.) I have not seen a poop of hers that I can confirm is HERS. Will try to watch for that today. The last one I observed was Monday evening, and though while still white/watery there was a bit of solid in there which was a good change.

Cheers for the progress! We'll be grateful for any movement in the right direction. The crop no emptying over night is a concern, though. By this stage in the miconazole, she should have an empty or nearly empty crop in the morning.

It probably would be wise to give her some oil to break up that mass. Start with one teaspoon of coconut oil, let it work for a half hour and massage, focusing on the hard lump. Repeat with another teaspoon of oil in an hour. Continue the miconazole and allow her to resume her normal routines.

Keep checking the crop in the mornings. It should empty overnight. If not, we may need to flush her and maybe consider a crop bra.

@azygous I have never given her any kind of oil. Exactly how do I do this without aspirating her?

*Update...she ate it right up! That was easy enough. Will massage in 30 minutes.

Last edited:
That's where coconut oil is so wonderful. Chill it so it's good and solid. Break off small bits and slip them into her beak. Some chickens like the taste of coconut oil if you use the virgin unprocessed with the coconut taste still present.

I learned solid chilled coconut oil is the easiest and safest for dosing baby chicks without danger of aspiration, and then found it's much easier for adult chickens, too. The solid oil goes into the chicken and not all over you.

OK massaged crop after first dose of Coconut Oil. It is definitely softer/squishier than first thing this morning. She is eating and drinking great! I checked two of my other hens for comparison, and since it's still rather early their crops are relatively flat...I will check everyone later this evening for comparison. I am doing the 2nd dose of oil in about 30 minutes. I have to leave for the afternoon, but I am sure she will be fine. Is there anything else I need to do other than continue the Miconazole or just keep this pattern for the next few days? *How often should she get the coconut oil after this second dose?

The coconut oil only needs to be used when the crop becomes hard. Just as in aging household plumbing, it needs to be cleaned out occasionally if things don't appear to be moving through it as they should.

Continue the miconazole and check her crop each morning. We will play it each day according to what condition you find her crop in the mornings.

Underlying health issues can contribute to a slow crop, and that further increases the risk of sour crop. Stubborn crop issues occasionally need to be addressed with more aggressive measures such as a molasses or Epsom salt flush or wearing a crop bra at night to assist the crop in emptying. Those are tools we have in our kit, but we don't need them right now.

Back
Top Bottom