South Carolina

Quote:
Wow this thread moves quickly!

I had a great time meeting you, Joy! Thanks so much for showing me around the farm and talking chickens with me for so long.
The guinea eggs went into my incubator the very next day, and the others went under my broody hen... I'm crossing my fingers that she sticks with it!
fl.gif

As for my t-shirt, it was an impulse buy at Tractor Supply... and well worth it, as much as it gets worn!

It's such a lovely day outside, but I haven't gotten a thing done. I've spent most of the day playing with the week old peeps. They're just starting to grow tailfeathers!

Oh well, I haven't seen that shirt at TSC here in Greer. It was a good buy, very cute. If I'd seen it I would have bought myself one for sure. I hope your guinea eggs hatch well. Just a couple of days after you were here, my guineas saved my birds from a coyote in the backyard. He came right up behind the house and was stalking the ducks and chickens. The guineas sounded the alarm, then ALL the guineas around the whole yard sounded the alarm - it was very LOUD! But the coyote was stunned long enough for the chickens, guineas and ducks to fly to safety. I hate that they are back. Here we go again ..... coyote hunting. I have a guy with all the special "hunting stuff" who came last year but never got one. I've given him some special silkies so maybe he will come back and hunt again for me. I dearly love my guineas.
big_smile.png

Amy - Yepp it was over 300. And Nicole said her arm is feeling that today too!

I was going to say......Karen is not far from me, so I could drag her one back on a Friday
gig.gif

It was so nice today! Went to visit a friend of DH's ....... OMG they have pigsssssssss. Guess what Nicole wants now....
th.gif

Top of my feet got sunburned - I have flip flop tan lines!

AND - for the first time ever in my life, I heard cicadas
ep.gif
those things are L O U D ! !
ep.gif

Last edited:
Does anyone live near Sumter with guineas for sale? I only have an acre of land and I hear your should start with a flock of no less than six. Can I clip their wings if I build them a coop of their own? I'm really interested in raising a few for tick and ant control. Perhaps I should just stick with chickens since I only have an acre. Is there a way to sex keets, or do you have to wait until they grow up to determine the difference? I would hate to buy straight run and find out I got 2 or more males and 4 hens. I hear that having more than one male in a small flock such as this will be nothing but problems. Thoughts, recommendations, or drop the idea? Thanks in advance.

Quote:
I don't live close enough to you to share my guineas but I can give you a bit of information on them. Firstly, I would never, ever clip the wings on my guineas. Their ability to fly is the only defense they have. Most guineas prefer to roost up high (usually in trees) at night. Also, I've seen successful flocks of only 3 or 4 guineas. They are social and prefer the company of other guineas so I wouldn't suggeset any less than 3 or 4. Also, guinea roosters are happy to live together if they are raised together. As a matter of fact, I've sold flocks of ONLY roosters to people with acreage who planned to free range the guineas. The hens will go broody and sit on the ground, making them vulnerable to predators. The roosters will survive much longer than hens when there are predators around. I would suggest that you get some keets and raise them with your chickens. They might learn to roost in the coop and they will learn where they live. You will need to keep them penned until they are at least half grown. Guinea keets require heat just like chicks. The keets are a bit fragile but once grown, guineas are very hardy birds. Most guineas don't wander too far from home. As for sexing them, the only way I know is to listen to the call they make. Once they are a few months old, the females will start to make the two syllable "buck wheat" call and the males do not make that sound. Both genders make the one syllable "alarm" call. Guineas do a fantastic job eating ticks, mosquitoes and fire ants. Also, they do not bother most vegetable plants so they are garden friendly. They will occasionally eat soft fruit like strawberries, but they've never bothered my tomatoes, cucumbers, squash etc. unlike chickens.

Joycats.... I would like to get some guinea eggs from you to incubate at work. The children love to watch them hatch and then they come and visit them in my office for weeks. They get concerned when I dont bring them to work!! Also, how much would you charge for some peacock eggs to incubate? Let me know and I can come by and get them when you are ready....
Tink
ps....Could I incubate polish and maran eggs with the guineas? Same temp? Length?I feel a visit coming!!
smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom