South Carolina

Just had a wonderful and exhausting day! My DD and her family came and spent the day helping with major fall coop cleaning, a few repairs, and some added nest boxes. We also relocated two small coops, and now everyone has new shavings, fresh DE sprinkles, spic-and-span feeders and waterers, and everyone enjoyed Samantha's grilled hamburgers afterwards! Thanks so much you guys! ...and all this just for my itty-bitty birthday! Best present I could have got!
love.gif
WOW!!! Sounds like a fabulous birthday! Sam is the best! Your chickens are probably so happy!! Edited to add Happy Birthday!!!!

Well my chickens are still alive. I have not seen any wounds but I know that one of them has a bad leg. I don't know if in a few days it will be better or what. I have given electrolytes. They get up and walk around a little in their brooder. They are pooping. Not sure how I will know when to return them to the coop. I figure the hurt leg one will need to be better first but how will I know with the other? He cock a doodles at me when I come to the brooder.

Also the chicken that died was my hen that was closest to laying age. So now I need to decide whether I want to try hatching again or if I should just spend the money and buy some laying hens???? Of course I love hatching but then it will be another 5-6 mo before they are laying. As it is my oldest hen now is 10 weeks. Seems other than the money it would just be easier(although maybe not as much fun) to buy layers. I will bond with them even if I did not hatch/raise them , right? The only other worry I have is introducing them to my current flock but they are all fairly young so maybe now is the time to do it?

Last edited:
I hope everyone is planning on going to the Chickenstock next month. Well, those who are in the upstate, anyhow. I am sure the ones in the lower part of the state would not want to make that far of a trip.

We have 5 weeks from today and I keep finding more and more that I can sell plus all that keeps hatching out. My pre-sales are going great and I am excited to go for the 3rd time. If you have not been, you need to plan on this one. It is fun and friendly.

I do not plan on bringing anything home but one never knows.......
hide.gif
Amy I'm planning on going. I need to get my greencard so I can sell my MFd'Uccles unless I sell them before the swap.
You taken/have and of those Wild Looking Sizzles???

So I can't Win for Losing..........The new rooster just loves me even stands on my foot and waits for treats. BUT......He has started attacking my dogs. The big dog Aussie x Chow mix is so good with the chickens she wont potect herself from him. URG ARG and the little dog SCREAMS bloody murder when the rooster comes near her!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

barnie.gif
but I have a another replacement roo growing up a Barred Blue JG.... Them Chickens are Crazy

Quote:
Cool beans! I think I have asked you like 10 times if you are going and you keep telling me but I forget. Old age is the pits! LOL

If you have not seen my West Knoll Farm FB page then you missed the Sizzle babies out of Lavish and his lady. But I thought you may have seen it. You usually follow me close enough on FB.

There is an awesome Silkie roo here named Hamilton that I got from Sandy at Bat Cave Silkies that is now in with a partridge Sizzle hen. I will set eggs from them for a few weeks and then change her around and put Lint, my blue Sizzle hen in with him and then probably change them around and put my buff/blue in with him. He has incrediable type so he will add to the Sizzles and then his daughters will help me out from just Silkie breeding.
I sold my most handsome Tawny and he will be delivered to Chickenstock. I have a few pullets out of him and they hopefully will go back to Hamilton this winter when they are older and their eggs are bigger.

But for your delight, I am hatching from Shazam now. At first it was only Mille Fleur colored hens in with him or my buff Mottled and all the chicks hatched out yellow but I have now added a sliver laced bantam Cochin to his pen and a blue splash to his pen for a variety of cool colors and patterns in the Frizzle bantam Cochin project.

I am not sure what I will be taking out of these pens, if anything, to Chickenstock though I am selling a smooth Sizzle Polish girl with a Sizzle roo, if one pops up. She adds a nice top hat to chicks but she is black and I want more color in my pens.

I know I am taking more than I originally planned to Chickenstock though. I keep finding birds I can sell. Imagine that! LOL

So I can't Win for Losing..........The new rooster just loves me even stands on my foot and waits for treats. BUT......He has started attacking my dogs. The big dog Aussie x Chow mix is so good with the chickens she wont potect herself from him. URG ARG and the little dog SCREAMS bloody murder when the rooster comes near her!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

barnie.gif
but I have a another replacement roo growing up a Barred Blue JG.... Them Chickens are Crazy

lau.gif

The roo will get better. And the dogs just learn to avoid him for a while. It is just one of his grow up games. He will get bored with it soon enough.

A belated Happy Birthday, Patsy!

Here's another "birthday present". These are my little wheaten chicks (out of the hens I got from you) and my wheaten roo (in my Avatar). They're so cute!!

Back
Top Bottom