South Dakota Thread!

I've got a chicken addiction.... I stopped counting at 40 egg layers (mostly brown layers) 2 roosters, and 8 Embden geese. We are hatching goose eggs this year for the first time!
Hahaha! I think most of us here share in your problem. 😂
Oh awesome!!! Geese are such special birds. Good luck with your hatch!!!

Hey South Dakotans!

My wife and I have lived in southern Ontario all of our lives. We are both retired, mid 50's, with one son still at home, in his early 20's. He is taking a course heading towards becoming an electrician.

I'm not sure if you are aware, but Canada in general, and Ontario specifically are in for some very dark times. We are currently one of the most locked down areas in the world! It is illegal to leave your home except for "essential" things. We defiantly attend one of the only churches open in the entire province of over 13 million people. Yesterday, there were 3-4 public health vehicles and 5 police vehicles, as well as news cameras when we arrived for our illegal gathering. When we left, the police were stopping and fining people for attending church! We feel this is only the beginning. Our federal "health expert" (our version of Fauci) stated last week that we would remain in lockdown until 75% of Canadian's are vaccinated!

All this to say, we have been looking at options for relocating and keep coming back to SD as a frontrunner. Kristi Norm seems to have her head screwed on straight, your climate seems very similar to ours, the Black hills area has wonderful opportunities for hunting, and your state laws seem more in tune with our thoughts when it comes to freedom in general.

We have loved the past 13 years living on 12 acres in farm country, backing onto 100 acres of woods. My wife is a gardener / homemaker with a gift for hospitality. I enjoy hunting, the outdoors, fixing / building things,and recently, chickens, lol.

If anyone has any insight about your state, how we may, or may not fit in, areas we should look at for housing, things that might surprise us about SD, etc, I would appreciate your thoughts. We're not sure if our son would move with us or not, we'll likely be having that conversation in a few weeks after his exams are finished.

Sorry for rambling!

Hey South Dakotans!

My wife and I have lived in southern Ontario all of our lives. We are both retired, mid 50's, with one son still at home, in his early 20's. He is taking a course heading towards becoming an electrician.

I'm not sure if you are aware, but Canada in general, and Ontario specifically are in for some very dark times. We are currently one of the most locked down areas in the world! It is illegal to leave your home except for "essential" things. We defiantly attend one of the only churches open in the entire province of over 13 million people. Yesterday, there were 3-4 public health vehicles and 5 police vehicles, as well as news cameras when we arrived for our illegal gathering. When we left, the police were stopping and fining people for attending church! We feel this is only the beginning. Our federal "health expert" (our version of Fauci) stated last week that we would remain in lockdown until 75% of Canadian's are vaccinated!

All this to say, we have been looking at options for relocating and keep coming back to SD as a frontrunner. Kristi Norm seems to have her head screwed on straight, your climate seems very similar to ours, the Black hills area has wonderful opportunities for hunting, and your state laws seem more in tune with our thoughts when it comes to freedom in general.

We have loved the past 13 years living on 12 acres in farm country, backing onto 100 acres of woods. My wife is a gardener / homemaker with a gift for hospitality. I enjoy hunting, the outdoors, fixing / building things,and recently, chickens, lol.

If anyone has any insight about your state, how we may, or may not fit in, areas we should look at for housing, things that might surprise us about SD, etc, I would appreciate your thoughts. We're not sure if our son would move with us or not, we'll likely be having that conversation in a few weeks after his exams are finished.

Sorry for rambling!
Hello!
Our state has received a huge influx of people moving to it through this whole covid-19. Land and housing prices are increasing at a rapid rate. But something else you should know as we are headed into a pretty bad drought. Another thing to consider is if you are an open thinker when it comes to vaccines you should be aware that Governor nome was against a health Freedom bill that would allow parents to make their own choices when it comes to chemo for their children and for removal of vaccine requirements in our schools. That was last year and the beginning of this year.
Just some things to consider.

Oh and it also should be noted that the people who don't agree with our governor stance are starting fires within our state. I grew up in the Black Hills but would no longer choose to live there due to the increased population and the horrible forest fires each year. Taking into consideration the drought that we are going into the fires will be much worse and since arson is the cause of most of them due to upset people with our Governor's choices it would be at a higher risk area to own land.

Thanks for th
Oh and it also should be noted that the people who don't agree with our governor stance are starting fires within our state. I grew up in the Black Hills but would no longer choose to live there due to the increased population and the horrible forest fires each year. Taking into consideration the drought that we are going into the fires will be much worse and since arson is the cause of most of them due to upset people with our Governor's choices it would be at a higher risk area to own land.
Thanks for the info, I appreciate it!

Well, I think it is a wonderful place to live, and I do agree mostly with our Governor - so to each his own.

However, what I am here for is my niece has a broody hen, and we would love to hatch some eggs if someone close by has fertilized eggs? We are not too picky, but do not want bantam eggs.

Well, I think it is a wonderful place to live, and I do agree mostly with our Governor - so to each his own.

However, what I am here for is my niece has a broody hen, and we would love to hatch some eggs if someone close by has fertilized eggs? We are not too picky, but do not want bantam eggs.
Did you ever find any? Never saw this unfortunately!

Back
Top Bottom