Southern 101---Explanation of all things Southern

Quote:
I BYC friend recently introduced me to a fried twinky with ice cream
on top. It was really good.

ooooooooooooooooohhhhhhh i love those!!!!!!! Battered and deep fried!!!!

lau.gif
droolin.gif

Quote:
A comedian explained this phenomenon one time by saying that the # of consonants in the English language MUST stay constant, so the northern "R"s migrate to the south, thus the "r"s from pahking the cah in the yahd become inhabitants of the southerner's "earl" wells . Another colloquialism (although this one is prominent in KY also) is saying, "I carried ____ to the store". Really now? Wouldn't it have been easier to have taken them in the car? I hope it wasn't too long a walk...
roll.png
tongue.png

That's some deep stuff there.
wink.png

Earl...Tars...LOL I can't even begin to try to type "ice"
lau.gif

When I first came to Texas, I couldn't figure out a lot of stuff.

I was asked if I wanted a sody water....a what???? I didn't have a clue why they were asking me if I wanted baking soda and water...did I look like I had an upset stomach????

And one of DH's favorites: A twice barrel shotgun...(double barrel)

Now that I have been here for over 25 years...I talk just like 'em!!!
When I go back up north to see family...everyone asks me to "just talk" so they can hear that southern drawl!

Jean

Last edited:
I was in Cleveland once and called a girl back in TN just so my guy friends in Cleveland could drool. I don't have a very strong accent, but I do speak Southern when necessary. My pastor, from So Cal, tried to make fun of Southerners. His grits are cooked...

We just moved to TN in November from NY, but my husband is a Southerner. For years I've heard him call the dog, a doog; the bed, a beed; a pen, a peen. And I used to make fun of him.

Now I move down here and he and my grandson's principal make fun of ME!!! LOL

But I have to admit, I love hearing my grandson picking up the local lingo and he has a bit of a Tennessee twang now. I also find myself picking up "southern".

I love it!!

Laurie

Quote:
My mild Georgia accent comes back in a few days when I'm around
southern friends or family.

Wait until you come back up here to NY to visit and you bring your twang with you.
Good luck...
roll.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom