Southern NY, Dutchess county and below

I found out how to get email updates from the thread: Go to subscriptions and then settings.

So here's my laugh of the day: The hospital now requires you to change your bed linen and night clothes for two nights before the surgery, and to use a surgical scrub for the two showers before and day of surgery shower. Like now it's my job to keep myself sterile for the procedure. Okay, so I'll use your antibacterial scrub and clean sheets and towels and pjs. But I'm still playing with my chickens before I leave for the hospital!!
tongue.gif

Exactly-they want you to kill them or get a permit (pay to get one!) to relocate. I know which I'd choose. I hate hurting any animal, however, after a previous experience with raccoons killing my entire flock in one night, and continually harassing me if I go outside at night...I'm pretty sure I am justified in making sure my family and flock are safe. After reading the DEC website, it's clear that you are right. They want you to kill them. In suffolk county they say there's probably 100 per square mile. Well, not in my yard, I can tell ya that!

Always do what you have to in order to protect life, limb and property of you and your loved ones. Just - be discreet!

The little soldiers are adorable! I thought of you today while reading an article in a Hobby Farm Home magazine. The woman saw a need to educate people about where our food comes from, and she developed presentations about chickens, eggs, cows, pigs etc and took them to schools. The presentations were 45 minutes long, and she kept control of the animals so they were not mishandled...and it was a nice way for her to make some money...and live her farm life.

I am hoping that my DD only addiction is the morehens disease that I have probably passed on to her. She was drawing a picture the other day and I asked her what it is and she said "these are the new chickies that I have to have" so I took a look and there were several different types which she began to name off for me "red silkie, barred rock..." too cute.

We decided to homeschool our daughter to avoid all of the issues surrounding school (kids being bullied on the bus and in school, drugs, overcrowding, etc). It was a hard decision, because we want her to have all of the fun stuff that goes along with it, but the school districts around here are terrible and the private schools are not much better and the issues are the same anyway (besides they are so far away). So, it is a good thing that I work from home. Think I can design a home schooling program with chicken husbandry as a basis?

Oh yeah, the canopy. I kind of wrote that off a while ago...
Alot of the peeps in CT are pros, and we figured it's time to join the ranks.
They talk about how "many tables" they use for the shows.
Kind of like a flea market. So I have a little table for the jewelery 4 feet long.
And I got a 6' table to add to the mess.
Everything has to fold down to fit into my little VW.
So what if it rains?
The right thing to do is get one of those collapsible canopies.
The nice ones are like $200, but us rookie chicks are starting out on a budget.
Mrs cheepass CFG finds one at the dollar store for $20.
Not too bad putting it together.
I used the stakes it came with, and as an extra measure, tied it to a chair.
The wind starts up, and takes the canopy, AND the chair over my car, hits the car next to us, over the fence into the horse pasture.
hu.gif

I think we need a better canopy.

Roberta; Please send me her info also. If we can't help each other we are lost. Where does she live. I'd like to go help her with her chickens, maybe sit with her husband while she takes a little break one afternoon.I'm not a bad cook so maybe bring over something. Roberta tell her we would only be strangers for a second. She has a whole chicken family that can help.

On a happy note, I finally convinced my husband that we should keep bees-so in the spring we'll be getting a hive and some honey bees! I adore honey, and it's so hard to find raw, local honey for allergies-this will be great!
My brother keeps bees in Buffalo. Had a terrible summer this year because of the drought. He's been feeding them tons of sugar water to keep them alive. Quite a contrast from last year when they produced 105 lbs. of honey. I love honey but can't tolerate it because of my gastric bypass surgery. I use it in baking bread, though. Not that I'd use honey from my "nieces" for that!

Back
Top Bottom