Pics

SugarGroveFarm

Songster
6 Years
Mar 12, 2018
Ohio
Hello everyone! One breed that I personally find to be very beautiful is the Speckled Sussex, just wondering if anyone could give me any general information on them. What are your guys' experience with them? What are things you like and don't like about them? What are the temperaments of the hens and roosters generally like? I've read one website that they lay 280-300 eggs a year and another that said 200 eggs a year, which is closer to the truth? Just general experience, info, and pics of yours if you have them! Thanks in advance guys!! Picture is not mine but one from google!
Speckled Sussex.jpg

Hello everyone! One breed that I personally find to be very beautiful is the Speckled Sussex, just wondering if anyone could give me any general information on them. What are your guys' experience with them? What are things you like and don't like about them? What are the temperaments of the hens and roosters generally like? I've read one website that they lay 280-300 eggs a year and another that said 200 eggs a year, which is closer to the truth? Just general experience, info, and pics of yours if you have them! Thanks in advance guys!! Picture is not mine but one from google!View attachment 1295305
:welcome

Oh my gosh! My girl is da bomb:D she is the most friendly and will sprint to you as soon as she sees you! She's always wanting to "help" which is both good and bad, lol! Not to mention, beautiful feathers! Mine is a very reliable layer, probably around 260 (if she's feelin' like it more like 280;)). I have never had a rooster of this breed but my experience with the hens has been one of the best breeds! Highley recommend:thumbsup Here's some pics!: Her name is Hazel by the way:)
DSCF2621.JPG Hazel as a baby
DSCF2719.JPG Some of these pics really show her personality!:rolleyes:
IMG_0764.JPG Pullet
IMG_3174.JPG Hen
Love my girl:love

Oh wow she is BEAUTIFUL!! I'm glad to hear that they are highly recommended.I'm very interested in them and was worried people might tell me not to get them :lol: It's nice to hear that a bird that pretty is friendly too!

I loved my SS (don't have any right now). They were very sweet natured, layed well (not sure of the number) and as far as pecking order, they fell pretty much in the middle. I thought they were somewhat slower to reach their full growth than some other breeds I had at that same time (RIR, PBR and sex links), but they did catch up, just a bit slower.
DSC00227.JPG

DSC00341.JPG

I loved my SS (don't have any right now). They were very sweet natured, layed well (not sure of the number) and as far as pecking order, they fell pretty much in the middle. I thought they were somewhat slower to reach their full growth than some other breeds I had at that same time (RIR, PBR and sex links), but they did catch up, just a bit slower.
View attachment 1295339

View attachment 1295340
Thanks for the info! And those are beautiful birds!!

Thanks! I forgot to mention...it seemed every time they grew their feathers back in from molting, they were more speckled. Loved those birds, hope to get some more in the future.
Thats awesome! That was actually going to be my next question. Do they get more speckled as they age or does the amount of speckling depend on the individual bird?

Back
Top Bottom