Splayed Leg??? Vitamen B defiency???

BarredRockMommy

Songster
Mar 6, 2017
I saw a ton of threads with splayed leg chicks, but to make it less confusing for me and everyone else, I decided to make a new one for my little guy or girl(not sure yet). I rescued this cutie from a friend who was gonna put it down and i was like absolutely not:eek:. It doesn't get around perfect but not awful either. It's about 50 hours old now. I really hope it's not too late! He is a lone chick, as we just got rid of our old chickens due they were killing our yard(5 of them will do that lol). This little one was surprise, but he has everything he needs. Brooder(cardboard box, stuffed animals, water with glass pebbles so he doesn't drown, starter, and lots of love and warmth(red bulb). He doesn't seem to miss his friends and I can not get anymore chickens at the moment, so....can you experienced chicken give me a hand on how to fix this???? All the splayed legs ive seen are both legs and this is only his right front. Got him about 24 hours ago.
1726784-8c52d63fe37ebea83939f9b188aeb74a.jpg

It wont let me post anymore than one pic...ill try and find more...

Able to eat, drink, sleeps well, no weight loss, feathers just starting to come in on wings, unknown breed or genetics, don't know if the temp in brooder fluciated at any point, all the rest (53 others) were fine, i believe he needed help out of his shell.

I would make him a manacle/brace with a band aid or similar and make sure his leg is placed correctly. I would also manipulate the leg gently multiple times a day in order to loosen muscles and allow rotation to the normal position.

I know you said you can't have any more chickens right now but he also NEEDS a friend, even if it's only one. All the human interaction and stuffed toys in the world cannot satisfy his absolute fundamental need for one of his own kind xxxx

If you haven’t started chick B vitamins that include riboflavin (vitamin B 2,) then I would. An alternative is vitamin B complex 1/4 tablet daily crushed or grated onto food. Note that Poultry NutriDrench does not contain riboflavin. A couple of drops of water will get it to stick to food. There could be a leg bone deformity, such as varus valgus deformity or twisted tibia. It may or may not be treatable. Some people try splinting, a leg hobble, helping them learn to stand and develop leg strength in a cup, and sometimes using a chick chair.

@happyhens1972
He/She will be finding a new home once healed up with a friend's flock of docile hens. If a male he will go and live on our friend's ranch with all the hens and a couple other roos. I meant at the time being. I apologize for the miscommunication. I will try that immediatly. I will maybe try and get a little friend for him from his batch. Are you pro house chickens or no?

@Eggcessive
Love that username! Yes I may have to get the tablet because that is located at the nearest store and than work on getting a chick vitamen. I'll look up the 2 injuries you have just mentioned to see if it anything like what he has. He is fully mobile, just awkward at it.

@Eggcessive
I looked up varus valgus(just looked at images), his elbow is not swollen whatsoever. His leg is completely fine except kind of skinny, because of lack of use. Twisted tibia does look more similar. I will be researching some more on that. Does twisted tibia have a cure or treatment? Have you ever had to work with it? Thank you for the links, looking at them now!

@happyhens1972
He/She will be finding a new home once healed up with a friend's flock of docile hens. If a male he will go and live on our friend's ranch with all the hens and a couple other roos. I meant at the time being. I apologize for the miscommunication. I will try that immediatly. I will maybe try and get a little friend for him from his batch. Are you pro house chickens or no?

@Eggcessive
Love that username! Yes I may have to get the tablet because that is located at the nearest store and than work on getting a chick vitamen. I'll look up the 2 injuries you have just mentioned to see if it anything like what he has. He is fully mobile, just awkward at it.

A friend from his batch is a good idea....same age and size....but keep a close eye as you don't want him being picked on either. Great that he's gonna join a flock at a later date but he'll do a lot better if he's learnt how to be a chicken with other chickens first.....hence a need for company now. As for house chickens....if that's what works for you, and him, right now, then go for it! I am pro anything that makes our little friends' lives easier/happier :) But then you are talking to someone who can't eat eggs (intolerance) so keeps chooks just because they are amazin'! ;-)

Back
Top Bottom