Pics
Cochins and brahmas are extremely slow growing. For males to completely mature can take up to 3 years. By one year they have usually finished growing in bone structure but have to fill out yet.

Here are some of my younger ones from this fall. They may look different because they come from my, and some friends show and breeding stock
View attachment 1669324 a pullet 6-7 months old

View attachment 1669325 a cockerel 6-7 months old

View attachment 1669326
A cockerel around 8 months old
Ok, my girls are probably just still growing:D

I am excited about all of them, but especially the Iowa Blues! I even ordered one rooster, on purpose :lau I have heard great things about them. I will keep you posted how it goes.

Please do! I would be interested to know! I have heard good things too.

I candled this morning, and had to pull the little AC egg it had quit on day 15, the yolk was not absorbed at all, View attachment 1669284

These 4 are doing well,View attachment 1669277 the blue one looks like it will hatch first. The dark is one I put in incubator one day later. The interesting thing about the dark one if it hatches, mom is a welsummer, dad is BCM be nice to get a hen that lays really dark eggs. day 18/19

Those sure would be some dark eggs! And maybe speckled too and dark :D

I am weighing my 2 cochins as they grow just to see weight gain, and since there is only 2 it makes it easy!
View attachment 1669285 View attachment 1669286
As you can tell this little one doesn't even tip the scale!
View attachment 1669292
The average Cochin egg weighs about 23 oz

Awwww

love the scale!

X2

I didn't order bantams, but I'm wondering if my cochins and brahmas are bantams. They're not nearly as big as everyone says they are. Or are they slow Growers? Mine are about 6 months old.

I think they are just really slow growers, as are Jersey Giants, and most of the jumbo/super large breeds like that.

Share some pictures? The size difference between bantams and standards are quite apparent. Most standard Brahma and cochin take 2 years to fully mature.

Oh wow that’s a long time.

To the person who likes my name- Gimmie birdies, I like it too, I think my name would be "let there be birds" if not Gimmie.

To the person who asked if my hen who lays the green ugly spotted egg is a good layer, yes, she is, I get an ugly green spotted egg every day. The hen herself is pretty blue/gray.
90.PNG

To the person who likes my name- Gimmie birdies, I like it too, I think my name would be "let there be birds" if not Gimmie.

To the person who asked if my hen who lays the green ugly spotted egg is a good layer, yes, she is, I get an ugly green spotted egg every day. The hen herself is pretty blue/gray.View attachment 1669373

Ohhh okay, I thought you were saying the hen that laid it was ugly lol it does look a tad ugly here lol but at least it will hopefully produce more pretty, good laying birds :D I assume it was an accidental cross initially?

Share some pictures? The size difference between bantams and standards are quite apparent. Most standard Brahma and cochin take 2 years to fully mature.
This is Neela, who is a bit busy at the moment, but she is about the same size as the other two.
20190210_131338.jpg
20190210_131149.jpg
this is Crickey and Mushu.
And here they are next to my year old Marans
20190210_131212.jpg

what is adopt a chick?

Meyer Hatchery has an assortment thing called LeaAnns Adopt Me Bargain which is basically chicks they find after cleaning the incubators after the weekly hatches, late hatchers, and you can adopt them for a lower price than other chicks. Can be any chicken, bantam, or even turkeys. You can get some really cool rarer breeds that way for way cheaper or of course the more common breeds, you don’t know what you’re getting but it’s a great option for people who don’t really care/mind and want to give chicks a home.

https://www.meyerhatchery.com/productinfo.a5w?prodID=AMBS

They also have a thing called Meyer Mealmaker where you can add a free chick to your order and they try to give you the same type of chick and sex. So for example, if you ordered egg layers, they would give you a layer, or meat birds, you’d get a meat bird, etc. The idea I think is to be able to have extra to give meals to people in need but obviously not everyone does that. But it is a cool idea. I added it to my first order and got a 3rd Buff Orpington and a female too. This new order I did not add it.

I assume no fly zone meant the leaanns adopt me bargain rather than the mealmaker but not sure.

Back
Top Bottom