Spurs

L&Schickens

Songster
11 Years
Jun 9, 2008
Washington State
I just got some chicken from my friend who lives in CA. She sent 2 Ameracana hens and 2 roosters. She neglected to tell me that one of the roosters was agressive until I saw the note in the box.
Today I was ready for him. He flew at me, I caught him in mid air and tucked him under my arm. I used a dremal tool to grind down his spurs, as I have a 5 y/o son who loves chickens and has never known a "Bad" rooster.
My question is, how far can I go? There was no bleeding when I ground them down. Can I grind them mostly off?
Here are some pictures of what they look like now. I should have gotten before pictures, but didn't think of it.

l_2da5d502b0f725813c4040fcd7f2f6ed.jpg

l_fee54e1a2232a2ab02ab8d32b0b0f11a.jpg

l_3d7c4905692802874a617fbdef2487b4.jpg

Jack has changed his tune a little since I gave him his pedicure, I just hope it lasts.

Someone (I think it was RedRooster) had a little tutorial on cutting spurs. The pictures were very detailed and he discussed how much you can take them down. It was excellent. I'll see if I can find it.

Penny

That's a pretty rooster! Congrats on your new ones - hope they all work out for you. I Dremel'd my roo's spurs and I couldn't take much off before one started to bleed just a tiny bit; the toe just below that ended up getting infected or somthing, and was swollen for a few days. There's another post on here somewhere about putting electric wire twist caps (sorry, don't know what they're actually called, but those plastic caps that you twist onto two wires so they have constant contact) onto spurs with super glue; that may work. I've never done it, but it sure seemed nicer than removing them and risking hurting the roo. JMO! Good luck!

I am guessing he is an Ameracana (Easter egger) or maybe a cross with an oriental game bird. He is very upright and tall like a Shamo. She got him and the others at a petting zoo. The city where she lives got too many complaints form her neighbors about the crowing, so she sent them to me.
His spurs are/were very sharp and very long. I still think I could take half of that off and be ok.

testing my absorption of everything chicken here....
Is he an Ameraucuna? Did I totally screw up the spelling???

either way he is gorgeous.

My barn owner (who will hopefully be joining us here on BYC) actually asked about de spurring(?) a roo yesterday.

Yes, it has been very helpful. I like the "Keeping your Rooster sane" article too. I do like chicken soup, but this bird still belongs to my friend, so I think she might get upset if I ate him.
wink.png
The thought did cross my mind though.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom