SSS...and then bury it deeper? Did anyone see this??

Quote:
I'm not interested in quantity, I'm interested in cases of seeing eye dogs killing chickens.
roll.png

Personally I don't care if the dog is a seeing eye dog or not or if it's the first time the dog has attacked chickens...I will shoot it if it's caught attacking my chickens. Sorry but it's not right for any dog to destroy my property (and pet chickens). I'm sure dog owners would feel the same way if our chickens were able to kill their dogs!

Last edited:
If you subscribe, as I do, to the concept of instinctive predatory behaviors in domestic canines, then you must ALWAYS assume any strange dog on your property will chase/injure/kill any poultry it comes across and/or dig under/break through any coop fencing if it is possible to do so.

I will not risk the health and lives of my flock assuming that a strange dog on my property has had these instinctive drives sublimated through good training by the owner who just happened to lose control of the pet or had it stolen.

Dogs=Predator
Chickens=Prey
SSS = It's The Only Way To Be Sure

Quote:
I'm not interested in quantity, I'm interested in cases of seeing eye dogs killing chickens.
roll.png

yep cause if it does kill chickens it's probably a poor companion no impulse control.... Does it say somewhere whether there was a pen broken into? How do we know if the chicken owner wasn't containing his birds? and even if they were free ranging as long as they stayed in HIS yard that don't make em free doggie buffet.
wink.png

The dogs owner said it was shot in the street, he wasn't even there.
Why is it that dog owners think they have more of a right to choice of pet that anyone else? Who are they to judge what pet someone else can love or how much they can love it? How stupid would I be to go up to a dog I have never seen before and try to catch it? Or just "ass"ume it won't hurt my children, one of which is in a wheelchair. I am glad that the law has more sense than people and I can defend what is mine. Have I used lethal force to protect my children and my birds, yes I have and will again if needed.

Shovel. LOL All my DH could come up with was the SSS Morning Routine...Sh*%, Shower & Shave.

aprophet-- I know the hot ditch well. Caught many a crab from that part of the river in my youth. Grew up in Geneva Shores and graduated from Deep Creek High School in 1984. Go Hornets!

My dog runs off leash through our rural neighborhood. Only 3 houses up or down the road though, and I'm on good terms with all of the neighbors. Only one other family has chickens or animals that go outside, and she is not a predator kind of dog. She does chase my birds sometimes, but only for 'fun', and wouldn't hurt one. ever. I leave them alone together outside all day long sometimes, and no problems at all. I'd be furious if someone shot her in their yard. If she KILLED a bird, I'd be more understanding, but if she was just walking through, I'd be SO mad. My neighbor has 4 dogs, 2 basset hounds (that come over sometimes and eat compost, then the neighbor calls me and complains that his dogs are throwing up from eating my compost..
hmm.png
)and one giant bloodhound, that comes over and drools all over everything, and rolls in chicken poo (neighbor calls to complain about that too), and they just got a pitbull. A rescue, who I met, but he didn't seem aggressive OR friendly... just sort of quiet and ignored me. I really hope we don't get more issues.

Quote:
Yes, an "electric fence" which I take to be one of those underground "invisible" fences. They work well on most dogs, but if the power goes out or the batteries in the dog's collar die, or if the dog has a strong enough incentive to bolt through the "zap", they are useless. Hunting dogs (like a GSP) generally have a high pain tolerance. I would never trust an electric fence to contain my dog - EVER. I am sorry the first response was to shoot the dog, and I personally would not have done so unless there was no choice (did someone say the dog was shot in the street, rather than in the act of killing chickens?), but the chicken owner was within the law and the dog owner's dismissal of the value of chickens is to my mind inexcusable.

I'm sorry the whole thing happened, and as in most instances of this type there are likely things that both parties could have done differently - but they didn't, and what happened, happened. It's too bad, especially for the dog and for the chickens...such a shame.

Back
Top Bottom