Starlight’s Training Adventure!

I couldn't quite figure out how to do that braid in her mane, but I looked up some interesting braids and decided to try the diamond braid. View attachment 1689229View attachment 1689230
It took me about 30 minutes and Star was so patient with me. :)
How beautiful! Yeah, that one does look pretty hard to do. I've never tried braiding anything else but a normal braid so I certainly couldn't do it. Didn't know about you though. :lol: I like the diamond braid though!

I was gonna say make sure to desensitize that scary bag if you hadn't done it already, ha! :gigThere's a lesson horse (my favorite one actually) who is TERRIFIED of plastic bags at my stables. Apparently when they first got him, a bag rustled by him, and he tore out the cross ties and ran off! :eek:

How beautiful! Yeah, that one does look pretty hard to do. I've never tried braiding anything else but a normal braid so I certainly couldn't do it. Didn't know about you though. :lol: I like the diamond braid though!

I was gonna say make sure to desensitize that scary bag if you hadn't done it already, ha! :gigThere's a lesson horse (my favorite one actually) who is TERRIFIED of plastic bags at my stables. Apparently when they first got him, a bag rustled by him, and he tore out the cross ties and ran off! :eek:

Wow! :eek: Definitely will desensitize to the bag!

If you are looking for good things to teach your young horse, leading at the walk/trot/halt/back is a good prerequisite for lunging. Be VERY careful lunging a baby; it can be quite hard of tendons and those growing bones.

That being said, all of my youngsters need to know basic young horse manners; stand tied, load and unload into a trailer (always have trailer hooked to a vehicle when loading or even trying to it), stand quietly for vet and farrier, basic showmanship or in hand ("walk on", "whoa", "trot", "back"), yielding shoulders and haunches, etc.

I never let the youngsters into my personal space or get mouthy. What is cute now is much less cute when the horse is 1200#. Remember that any 'cute tricks' you teach will show up at inopportune times.

Foal to 5 Years is a good book
Foal To Five Years https://www.amazon.com/dp/0706371208/?tag=backy-20

And if you are ready for more advanced concepts Ingrid Klimke has a good young horse book.

With my Horses I walk them over tarps. I make a mess on the ground with pop cans and plastic bags that they have to walk through too. Sure helps. I ties plastic bags on my fence to blow in the wind even when not training.
Star is absolutely adorable...:hugs

Wow! Your horses must be so well trained! I am going to go find some plastic bags to tie on to my fences!

This evening's training session with Star just showed me that she is getting better! :yesss:

I was leading her around and she was walking every calmly, then unexpectedly a car drove up the driveway. :eek: She trotted in a circle around me and snorted. We did this quite a few times but eventually she was able to turn her back to the drive way and walk on! (Yes, I will be desensitizing her to cars, bikes, etc.)

I know that this reaction would not usually be something to be proud of, but if that car would have done that a month ago she would have reared, bucked, and taken off... with or without me. So the fact that all she did was trot a little circle around me feels like a great accomplishment! :ya

That's great to hear! So glad Star is doing better with desensitization! :wee

Thinking about it, it sometimes is easy to forget we have to train these horses not to be scared of a lot of things, especially when we have already-trained horses who are desensitized and used to things like cars or other normal day stuff.

It's fun to hear about Star's progress! :)

That's great to hear! So glad Star is doing better with desensitization! :wee

Thinking about it, it sometimes is easy to forget we have to train these horses not to be scared of a lot of things, especially when we have already-trained horses who are desensitized and used to things like cars or other normal day stuff.

It's fun to hear about Star's progress! :)

Thanks! Sometimes people don't understand how much work go into the basics. It is an amazing thing to watch her grow in her training! :)

Back
Top Bottom