Sugar is a valuable treatment for reviving any chicken that is weak, semi-conscious, unsteady, heat stressed, suffering from shock from being injured or suffering from hypothermia. It elevates the glucose and will quickly revive a chicken with these emergency issues. It can save a chicken's life in many instances when doing nothing would result in death.
Thats what I was told! Thank you for reaffirming. Also, to comment further on their seeming improvement - I am going to keep them on the Corid and probiotic despite the unlikeliness of it being cocci because you mentioned it can't hurt?

Sorry you've had a rough experience so far. I had a couple other thoughts. Loud chirping happens with any kind of distress.

That kind of floor can get really cold. I don't see a thermometer at their level - are you sure they've had the proper temps for their age? A couple layers of cardboard under the brooder may make them more comfortable.

If they are only eating proper commercial Chick Starter - I think they don't need grit yet.

Also when something did not seem right, are you sure they are all pooping - and which has the abnormal stools? It may be difficult with fluffy breeds, but do you check how their vent areas look?

Last, I assume you are, but you are cleaning out all possible poo often, right? to minimize any chance for them to eat it? This young they seem to poo everywhere, but having a low perch area away from the food can help separate more of where the poo lands, and make scooping easier. Having Chicks really is a round-the-clock adventure!

Sorry you've had a rough experience so far. I had a couple other thoughts. Loud chirping happens with any kind of distress.

That kind of floor can get really cold. I don't see a thermometer at their level - are you sure they've had the proper temps for their age? A couple layers of cardboard under the brooder may make them more comfortable.

If they are only eating proper commercial Chick Starter - I think they don't need grit yet.

Also when something did not seem right, are you sure they are all pooping - and which has the abnormal stools? It may be difficult with fluffy breeds, but do you check how their vent areas look?

Last, I assume you are, but you are cleaning out all possible poo often, right? to minimize any chance for them to eat it? This young they seem to poo everywhere, but having a low perch area away from the food can help separate more of where the poo lands, and make scooping easier. Having Chicks really is a round-the-clock adventure!
Yes, and I have definitely heard the loud chirping before, more akin to screaming. These are definitely happy chirping chicks. I usually do have a thermometer in there and the temperature ranges from 65-75 depending on the time of day. They are 4 1/2 weeks now, and two of them were living outside until I brought them home a few days ago where the lows were in the 40s! They also have two layers of towels under the bedding, which warms it up quite a bit.

First thing I did was check the vents, all clear there, and I have seen all three chicks poop. Only one has the bloody stool.

I now only have them on chick stater and water with Corid and probiotics, so I think everything is good! And yes, the brooder is VERY clean, we just replaced and sanitized everything this morning, plus they have a LOT of space for just three chicks. Thanks for your concern :)

I believe that opinion is shared by Gail Damerow in The Chicken Health Handbook.

If I’m not mistaken, this all began with the gentleman at the hatchery wanting to give you something, when he didn’t feel he had enough chickstarter to share. I think he felt bad about that and tried to make some kind of amends by offering something he could. It wasn’t that he meant to dupe anyone, he just wanted to do something and surely could not foresee the unfortunate result. (It’s not been suggested anywhere here that was his intent, I’m just trying to get to root cause).

So, it looks like if OP is comfortable, the offending grit could be removed for now. (That said, and so sorry for long post, it MIGHT be nice to know what kind of grit it is, and maybe lesson learned is try to always get things labeled, though I understand in the intensity of that particular moment a label was last thing on anyone’s mind.)

Last edited:
AND one last thing, I promise, is that if ever there was anyone in the BYC community who had misnamed themselves, badly, surely it is cluelesschickmother. It’s obvious you are FAR from clueless! I’m so sorry you’re having to go through this, but you’ve handled it so thoughtfully, and so thoroughly, and so compassionately... many of is have learned so much by following your thread adventure. 🤗

Update on sick chick- the very big black one is still alive and seemingly healthy, though I was able to determine it is indeed her stool that’s bloody. The other two are in the clear. I saw her poop this morning and it was covered in a thin more watery coat of blood, much less thick and less mucus than yesterday, but still some blood. She’s eating very well (too well, she’s an absolute food addict) to the point she may just pop... though I do believe it is mostly fat (as opposed to water retention - which there may be some - because she really does eat ALL day long, much more than the other chicks).

They are all still drinking the water with Corid and probiotics. I do hope it is actually Cocci so that the treatment may be effective, though I fear it’s an internal organ issue as was suggested before, since she has no other Cocci symptoms. The only confusing part is how energetic, hungry and happy they all seem, it’s hard to believe anything could be wrong but clearly something is.

It’s been just under 24 hours since I first gave them the Corid, not sure how long it takes to work if it is indeed the cause of the blood. I haven’t replaced the water yet as the waterer is still very full, is that okay?

I unfortunately needed to leave this morning for a work trip, but will be back tomorrow night. Our friendly next door neighbors will be checking in on them 3 times a day to make sure their food and water are full and clear and the temperature is just right.... and that they are all still alive.

Any thoughts on what could be wrong with her at this point? Or anything else I could or should be doing? I am still leaning towards either a digestive issue from the grit or a hereditary organ issue. I hope she makes it! She’s so so sweet and loves being loved :)

Last edited:
I believe that opinion is shared by Gail Damerow in The Chicken Health Handbook.

If I’m not mistaken, this all began with the gentleman at the hatchery wanting to give you something, when he didn’t feel he had enough chickstarter to share. I think he felt bad about that and tried to make some kind of amends by offering something he could. It wasn’t that he meant to dupe anyone, he just wanted to do something and surely could not foresee the unfortunate result. (It’s not been suggested anywhere here that was his intent, I’m just trying to get to root cause).

So, it looks like if OP is comfortable, the offending grit could be removed for now. (That said, and so sorry for long post, it MIGHT be nice to know what kind of grit it is, and maybe lesson learned is try to always get things labeled, though I understand in the intensity of that particular moment a label was last thing on anyone’s mind.)
Yes, I absolutely don’t think the hatchery had any poor intentions but I do think they should have been more explicit as to what chicken grit was to my clearly clueless boyfriend, especially when he asked for food...

The grit was removed two days ago!! They definitely were eating way too much of it and I don’t think they need it. Unfortunately, removing it didn’t totally clear up the bloody stool.

Thanks for your insight!

AND one last thing, I promise, is that if ever there was anyone in the BYC community who had misnamed themselves, badly, surely it is cluelesschickmother. It’s obvious you are FAR from clueless! I’m so sorry you’re having to go through this, but you’ve handled it so thoughtfully, and so thoroughly, and so compassionately... many of is have learned so much by following your thread adventure. 🤗
Thank you!! That’s very kind. I can only hope this thread can help someone else down the line. I was fortunate to have very informative and generous people helping me out along the way. We definitely covered a lot of topics! I’ve handled it the best I could, I really do love all animals (maybe a little too much) and have spent my life rescuing and taking care of them. Chickens are by far the most complicated and fragile animal I’ve ever taken care of. I may not have thick enough skin for them, I can’t handle anymore death! I hope these can all live a happy and healthy life :)

Is it at all possible to get a photo of the black chick's poop? I for one derive a lot of information from a visual aid.

The fact that this chick is energetic, eating well, growing, etc. points to something of a more benign nature.

However, even a benign issue can present its own problems. We should try to identify it.

Back
Top Bottom