Stealth chickens?

msbliss

Songster
12 Years
Nov 20, 2007
I previously had chickens when I was in the country...now trying to find a way to do it here. I'm in a tract w/homeowners assn, not a chance in heck I can legally have them. Do you think this could work...Divide my garage in 1/2 for the chickens with a coop in there. There is a door to the 6ft high fenced side yard 8ft x 30ft which I could give them access to (neighbors pretty darn close tho). If I had the garage sectioned off, the HOA police wouldn't see the set-up & they'd see me parking my car inside as usual.

Since I was in the country with lots of chickens (roosters too) and lots of space, I never paid attention to the noise. I don't know if, say, 5 or so hens will make any discernable noise? Any input is greatly appreciated! Any stealth garage chicken keepers out there with advice?

My hens like to express their joy from laying an egg by cackling as load as they can. My coop is about 50 yards from the house and we can sometimes hear them.

Some of mine are quieter then others, but it seems to be more of an individualy chicken thing more then a breed thing. If you're friendly with the neighbors that are close I'd talk to them about it and offer to share eggs. The hens are much quieter then the roos (as you know) and while they'll probably be able to hear the egg song it's unlikely to wake anybody up on a Saturday morning.

You'd have to be careful about the exhaust from the car if you'd be keeping your chickens in the garage. Last winter, I brought mine into our garage to keep them warm on freezing nights, and I made my husband park his car in the driveway! Chickens, like all birds, have very sensitive respiratory systems.

Thanks to you all. The neighbors are renters, likely to cause problems all the way around.
sad.png
I thought if I had a coop (with the nests), inside the garage, it could possibly muffle the sounds. Yes, I also thought about the car exhaust thing, I could always park outside on the driveway too & scrape snow off in the winter lol. Hummm, there must be *someone* here who has stealth garage chickens?! Theoretically anyway
wink.png

Are you sure your association doesn't allow them? Sometimes the wording can be a little misleading. I am also in a subdivision in Idaho and my cc&r's say that you can't have them UNLESS it's ok with the city... Per the city we can have 3 chickens and no roosters. I have 4...
cool.png

I work in the title insurance industry and am used to reading cc&r's if you need any help.

I have only have one silver laced wyandotte, so I do not know if my information is correct for all silver laced wyandottes, but she seems to be one that would stand the best chance of flying under the radar.

Quote:
I would agree with this....my two silver laced wyandottes are very quiet. My EE's are the loudest with the RI's next. I have a lot of bantam breeds and they are pretty quiet.

Back
Top Bottom