Stella's Social Club

Well, the storm rainfall wasn't as bad as they expected - we only got 5 1/2 inches of rain. But since rain was occurring in the mountains, which melted the snow, the rivers are overflowing and there has been significant flooding in the valley. They have opened flood gates that haven't been opened in 10 years.

At least there was enough of a break in the rain today, so I could bury Briet (my last Icelandic). She died last night of natural causes. She was a month shy of being 6 years old, so she had a good life. My large coop is looking really bare with only 8 hens in it. (2 Welsummers, 1 BSL, 1 Olive egger, 2 EE's, 1 Crazy English Orp, 1 Barnevelder) I'm looking forward to spring and rebuilding my flocks from all of the losses I've had.

Speaking of Icelandics, where the heck has the Other Mary been? Gosh I miss her.
It depends on where you were!

A tree that had a tunnel carved in it toppled in the storm. The tree had survived 137 years of storms. I have driven through at least two times over the years.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/oth...e’-is-brought-down-by-winter-storm/ar-BBy4TZM

Now we are getting some rain. 2 1/2 inches already this morning.

Hope you aren't floating away Ron!
It is very wet here but the drainage is working well.

I did stay on hwy 113 on the way to work. Some of the other roads tend to have flooded spots in weather like this.

We have had a foot of rain since Saturday. Our flooding is receding now, but the flooding in the lower elevations is getting worse.

There is so much snow in the mountains, that Interstate 80 has been closed for 2 days now. The summit apparently got 8 feet of snow since this 2nd wave of the storm moved in on Sunday night. The avalanche risk is very high right now.

Here is a video someone got of the Lake Clementine spillway in Auburn:

The 49er Bridge over the Yuba River:

Last edited:
Too much rain at once probably washes away all the good topsoil, and floods so fast it doesn't get to sink into the ground. I hope all are safe from danger .
hugs.gif

Now that everyone is done molting, I spent yesterday cleaning both coops. It was sunny outside, and the next rainstorm came today - so I figured I'd better get it done with rain in the forecast for the next 10 days. The nest boxes had been soiled by feathers from molting birds, broodies and poop from Briet when she was dying.

They now have nice, fresh nest boxes and a super clean coop. Surely this means I'll start getting eggs again yes? My freeloading EE hatched in June and nothing. (she has been "practicing" digging in shavings - of course NOT in the nest box) I'm cutting her some slack from all of the attacks on my flock, but I really would like some eggs please. My molters should be ready to go again, their combs are bright red again. Store eggs are gross.

Back
Top Bottom