Stella's Social Club

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by The Sheriff, Jul 18, 2012.

1. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

You all are so awesome. [​IMG]

We will be traveling home today. I can hardly wait to see my chickens. [​IMG]

The funeral was like no other. It was awesome, if a funeral can be that. Mike and I were overwhelmed with love and strength. We were both actually able to feel joy. Is that crazy, or what? Mike sooo wanted to say, "the last words," at our son's funeral. He feared he would be too choked up to get it done. To the contrary - he gave a most memorable speach. I did not know he had planned this out! Oh my. Oh my. Oh my. He received a standing ovation. Isn't that crazy? hahaha. I hope someone recorded it. You must know - my husband is not the kind of man to do something like this. It was simply fabulous.

We sure loved our first born son. He was a special man. Very special to many.
    Well, he is gone now. We will all move on, albeit a bit slowly for a while.

One special moment.....
    Michael was a champion even before he graduated high school. He was the first in our home town school to ever make it to the finals in state wrestling. At the end of every match, before he ever went to state, he held up his hand with "#1" and was determined.......... One of his best friends had just told a story about this, and during the next song, this happened..... Soon, everyone was standing.....
    [​IMG]

Have you heard of these songs?
    Soldiers and Jesus:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbDFgbKDTTE

Airborne Ranger Infantry...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dktHCcobEm4

LOVE and appreciation to you all. Many many thanks for your thoughts and prayers. Now, I have held up the line long enough here. You all so graciously allowed me to ramble and carry on...

Now, let's talk chickens!

How is Stella? Hey, how are those chicks doing, too?

Last edited: Jun 11, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  2. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    I think Stella is honored to have the line held up a bit. I am glad there were moments of joy Kathy and how could there not be for a man who touched so many. Michael would want that, not somber sadness. I am so happy for you as you were truly blessed in being given Michael to share your life. *hugs*

As to chickens...well the Politician Chicken agrees with me 100% and you know she is never wrong. LOL

[​IMG]

3. finnfur

finnfur Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2012
    South Central VA
    Kathy
    Hope Mike and yourself had a safe trip back home.
    Now at your request here is a Pic of your grand chicks.
    They are in their favorite position - head in the feeder.
    This line was 24% heavier at 5 weeks than the other Del line

[​IMG]
    And this is REX - when they were handing out wings he got in the tail feather line by mistake- he needs to fly upside down to get lift.
    Actually when he tries to jump up with the rest of flock he goes down - reverse lift

[​IMG]

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I hope you have safe travels home Kathy. I'm glad you had some joy in the service.

As for chicken talk, if you insist. My broody is LATE in hatching her eggs-never had a broody hatch late before. My BR, Dusty, was supposed to hatch her chicks yesterday. I can hear tapping/cheeping in 3 of them. Although in the coop soap opera, my Icelandic stole Dusty's nest when she went out for her break. I guess she knew they were further along than hers and she'd steal them. So now Dusty is on eggs that are due to hatch Thursday.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2013
  5. cbnovick

cbnovick Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2012
    Scottsdale, AZ
    I have a definite non ideal staggered hatch situation going on here....[​IMG]

I had ordered another Hovabator Genesis 3 weeks ago to use only as a hatcher for flexibility and doing staggered hatches...Long story short, they mis routed the darn thing...it went down south instead of southwest (AZ) via Fedex home delivery...they contacted me almost a week ago...should arrive anytime....however TOO LATE!!!

I have 5 Black and Blue english Orps on day 20 and hear cheeping in one so it's already internally pipped....

I have 3 SOP buff Orps on day 18......

I have CHERISHED AND RARE true SOP BUFF ROCKS from Tom Roebuck on day 12....[​IMG]

Even if I get the genesis in today, it will still need time to calibrate for my conditions here in AZ etc...before I will feel okay about putting anything in it....

Once the Buffs are ready by day 18 (depending on air cell size from increased humidity from earlier hatching) then I won't even need the Genesis...OH WELL, I guess I will be ready for next staggered hatch...

Oh Dear....who knows how all this will work out...should be interesting....and brooding these chicks in 105+++ heat after the first week will prove challenging...[​IMG][​IMG]

LIVE AND LEARN....been here almost 2 years...things are a bit different in the desert with chickens...however, my flock is doing well thus far with the measures I am taking...and they are still laying.

6. mlm Mike

mlm Mike Sunna and Mani Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 14, 2010
    Hardy Township, OH
    Travel safely Kathy. I'm glad so many were able to come out to celebrate Michael's life.

Nice Dels finnfur.

Poor Dusty Kelly.

Here is a picture of one of my Cinco de Mayo chicks we call Drumstick. He has taken to riding goats. He's on one all the time (unless he is eating).

[​IMG]

7. cbnovick

Oct 1, 2012
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Hilarious...probably some bugs and nice 'bird's eye view' too!! [​IMG]

8. cbnovick

Oct 1, 2012
    Scottsdale, AZ
    My how those Dels have grown...thx for sharing pics!! [​IMG]

9. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    I think we were all happy to honor Michael's memory. Have a safe trip home.

Anyone else wonder how ducks stay dry when swimming? Check out the air cushion underneath.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. cbnovick

Oct 1, 2012
    Scottsdale, AZ
    awesome photo!! cutie!!! I love watching them dive underwater too [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by