Sterile drake!?

BEEiscool-

Hatching
Nov 17, 2015
Hi hi!
My male pekin duck has still failed to "do the deed" so to speak. He kind of just... falls off.
Both my duckies were born a year and a half ago, and my broody female appears to be getting frustrated and aggressive. She also goes days without coming off her rotten nest if we're unable to find it, and comes out bedraggled and skinny. Any thoughts please?

Last edited:
It's the same situation in water, kind of hilarious. He just topples off, I've not observed any successful mating at all :/

It's the same situation in water, kind of hilarious. He just topples off, I've not observed any successful mating at all
hmm.png
Is he Jumbo? his size maybe hindering him. and I would def be looking for your broody's nest she sounds like she needs your help. Find her nest destroy the nest even sit something on top of it after you have destroyed it, put her in a pen with a house she can sleep in and start feeding her giving her vitamins in her water and generally getting her back in good health.Brooding can really run them down and letting them continue once you have seen them run down is just asking from alot of health problems.

@BEEiscool- Welcome to BYC

Is he Jumbo? his size maybe hindering him.  and I would def be looking for your broody's nest she sounds like she needs your help. Find her nest destroy the nest even sit something on top of it after you have destroyed it, put her in a pen with a house she can sleep in and start feeding her giving her vitamins in her water and generally getting her back in good health.Brooding can really run them down and letting them continue once you have seen them run down is just asking from alot of health problems.  

@BEEiscool-
   Welcome to BYC

I think you could be right about him being jumbo, he's a happy chubby drake. As soon as she gets back to her healthy self it happens all over again. I have been destroying the nest asap, she won't hide in her boxes though. It's just so sad she's sitting on the nest for no good reason :( she gets so angry once she's realised what I've done! I'm not much keen for ducklings yet so I'm glad. I guess Buzz needs to go on a diet before Beanie gets her babies.

I think you could be right about him being jumbo, he's a happy chubby drake. As soon as she gets back to her healthy self it happens all over again. I have been destroying the nest asap, she won't hide in her boxes though. It's just so sad she's sitting on the nest for no good reason
sad.png
she gets so angry once she's realised what I've done! I'm not much keen for ducklings yet so I'm glad. I guess Buzz needs to go on a diet before Beanie gets her babies.
You could always by fertile Pekin eggs and after she gets back to good health and goes broody again exchange hers for fertile ones.
smile.png
she'd never know. It's pretty rare for a Pekin to go broody your one of the blest. I hope she eventually gets to hatch some babies. Or fertile any breed of duck eggs if you'd like a different breed. Poor Buzz I can see a tread mill in his immediate future. lol

Back
Top Bottom