Still-Air VS Thermal Flow Incubator

Orpstralope

XL College Raised Eggs
10 Years
Oct 11, 2009
Boone
I'm looking at purchasing an incubator and am planning on hatching around 20 eggs each round inside it. Are Hova'Bator's a good brand? Also would I rather have still air or thermal flow? Thanks

Thermal air flow is the same as still air--they just came up with a fancy name for it. I think you'd be better off with a circulated air. I have two Hovabators. One I got at a yard sale was thermal/still air and hubby added a fan to it. It'll increase the likelihood you'll have a good hatch.

The Hovabators tend to get less negative user reviews than other brands of styrofoam incubators.

The incubators with fans are also called "forced air incubators". It appears that the fans keep temperatures constant through out the incubator rather than hot/cold spots forming.

Best wishes,
Ed

Sweet - that's great info. Now what other bells and whistles can I get for a decent price? How are the egg turners?

I have a Hova Bator that I've used for 3 hatches and bought a Little Giant as an extra - I took the LG back the day I opened it and compared it to the Hova. Hova has a nice plastic tray at the bottom for easier clean up and also holds way more water for bringing up humidity when needed. Lg also has their ventilation holes at the very bottom so chick messes will fall thru, Hova has them on the sides. I added a fan, for me a turner was a must as I'm too absent minded to remember to hand turn them LOL!

I like the turner, but it does turn very slowly, maybe 4 sweeps every 24 hours. You must be sure the little arm is on the motor, that's the main thing. It could get bumped off and you may not even notice till days later when it's in the same position. I don't want to have to turn them by hand and open the bator every few hours, so I love having the turner.

Back
Top Bottom