Store bought coop... I know, bad idea.. too late

All good suggestions so far! I would just add that if the bully has been separated for a few days already you can probably try adding him back. It's likely that while he's been isolated, the pecking order has likely changed and when he is reintroduced, he'll be demoted to the bottom, and have to learn to be more polite.

Also, early differences in growth speed can mean a lot with chicks. I have a bunch of 10-day-olds, all from my own relatively similarly-sized chickens, and I swear the biggest ones are twice the size of the smallest ones. But that may even out some as they grow. Granted, the cockerels will stay bigger and the silkies will stay smaller, but the size differences may become a little less extreme as they age.

If he continues to hurt the other ones, you could separate him again and then reintroduce him after you've made some changes to expand the run. Most aggressive chickens will be less so if they have more space. A quick and dirty solution that might work for the present would be getting some chicken wire fencing and some posts and setting it up just outside the door of the run. It would be roofless so you'd still have to close the door to the run at night, but it would give them extra space and you could hang out with them in there. That might give you a little wiggle room until you can get around to making a more permanent addition to the run.

In case you do end up getting more chickens later, there are a few breeds that can be autosexed at birth, so that you can buy chicks and not have to worry about half of them being roos. You could also do pullets - that's what I did when I was starting out - but they are a lot more expensive.

Also, I just have to say, your city is ok with roaming dogs but has an ordinance against roosters? Yet another example of people's priorities being completely backwards.
As far as the ordinance goes, there is one for roaming dogs. But, the rooster one gets enforced and the dog one doesn’t. I found a friend who wants to add a roo to her flock. I’m passing him on today.

Definitely need more run space. As for the inside you are good as long as there is enough space for them to comfortably roost. It looks like your coop is like one of mine though and only has roost bars close to the floor. Chickens prefer to roost up high, so hopefully your coop can be modified just a bit by building in some support and raising those roost bars.

Ately
We put the bars on bricks for now. We can’t raise them above the nesting boxes until the chicks get a little bigger.

That would be great!!! I think the white silkie is a boy because it stood up to the older one. I'm looking for pics of him. He's good with people, but I was afraid one of the other chicks. would get hurt.
My pullets fight each other like roosters lol, so you can’t base the sex on those types of moves! Watch for wattles (they develop quickly on roos UNLESS they’re ameraucana or a few other breeds that don’t get them) and comb development. Roos’ combs develop more rapidly (again, a few exceptions!) AND THEY both get bright red on the roos and stay pinkish on the pullets while they’re young.

And honestly it looks like your daughter picked some really cute ones of fun breeds! I think I even see a white Polish chick!! And a couple of Easter Eggers/ameraucana whatever, they should lay blue eggs for you. I am really surprised the farm store had those breeds, silkies & Polish for sure.

And the good thing is MOST feed stores get them from hatcheries (not all—but ask where they came from) which are NPIP Certified & AI Clean, if so, you’re starting off with birds from disease-free flocks. Some don’t like hatcheries but I don’t mind good ones, some are better than others and you might be surprised at the quality you can end up with. Start with that and build up your own flock or just keep those and run with them! I just don’t buy from auctions EVER or anyone who doesn’t have NPIP Certification, I’ve never had problems with sick birds that way. But, to each his/her own, that’s just how I handle my flock.

And good luck!! CHICKENS ARE SO MUCH FUN! They’ll change your life! 😊

The sellers said I have three Easter Eggers, two Road Island Reds, and Two silkies. One of the Road Island Reds is the bully I've had to separate. The other I really think is female, but she has a turned out leg. I'm not sure if I should try to correct or not. I'll probably start a new thread about her.
Correcting the leg is pretty easy but you can’t wait much longer. You can make a splint out of cardboard and medical tape. There should be tons of tutorials on here.

The sellers said I have three Easter Eggers, two Road Island Reds, and Two silkies. One of the Road Island Reds is the bully I've had to separate. The other I really think is female, but she has a turned out leg. I'm not sure if I should try to correct or not. I'll probably start a new thread about her.
I saw a couple of pics of a yellow one with a tophat, or was I looking at something else? I could have looked at the wrong pics maybe but the one sure looked like a Polish chick to me! Here’s what they look like at a few months old (well mine are buff laced Polish not white and they did also start out yellow like the pic I saw):
133CDC3E-50A0-4478-9E95-27F560BBD50A.jpeg

You can add as much run space as you want. Just don't get more birds than can comfortably roost together at night in the coop. I use a portable chicken fence that can be electrified or not.

I saw a couple of pics of a yellow one with a tophat, or was I looking at something else? I could have looked at the wrong pics maybe but the one sure looked like a Polish chick to me! Here’s what they look like at a few months old (well mine are buff laced Polish not white and they did also start out yellow like the pic I saw):View attachment 2656575
I thought it might be polish, too, but no, look at the feathers... it's a Silkie.

Suggestions, which you should feel free to disregard.

Raise the roosting bars, so your birds don't sleep in the nesting boxes. As is, the bars are so low it will make cleaning difficult, too.

Remove an inside panel (if it exists) under the roof to add free, weather protected ventilation.

Expand the run off the side opposite the door. Simple framing, wall it appropriately for your predators (hardware cloth, etc). Whether or no to roof it is also predator dependent. Prices right now on building materials are outrageous, you **may** be better off attaching a chain link-style dog run/kennel, depending on dimensions, then securing hardware cloth to it to whatever height is necessary. Wood will require more framing, and has roughly tripled in price, so metal, in addition to being more durable, may actually be cheaper at the moment.

I leave sexing of your birds to others, more experienced than myself.

View attachment 2648992
@mgharris30 MY recommendation, using a part of @U_Stormcrow suggestion? Just get the 10x10x6 dog run kennel and put the existing coop in the middle of it, leave the coop run door open so the birds have access to the larger run area. You can put a shade cloth designed for those kennels over the top which would provide shelter for the birds as well as protect them from overhead predators and ground predators. Put hardware cloth... 1/2" would be fine, 4' wide, around the INSIDE of the kennel, from the ground up, so that coons, et al, can't reach through the chainlink to grab at the birds and pull them through it. Cheaper right now than buying lumber, and the quickest solution to your predicament.

Back
Top Bottom