Storm/possible tornado damaged one of my coops tonight

Oh, that's a heartbreaker. So sorry about your coop, it's obvious alot of love went into it.
smile.png

Quote:
Actually, I'm getting ready to call my agent back, I missed the call while I was outside. I'm hoping they cover it as an outbuilding. I just have regular homeowners coverage. I think it's pretty well a total loss. The wall on the opposite side where the tree landed is coming away from the framing. The stud looks like it is split right down the middle. I've been trying to get some weight off of it by cutting the debris away with my handsaw but I don't know how much longer the building will support that much weight. The chainsaws are coming tonight via family. Right now I'm trying to pull up poles and redirect the fencing so if it does go, my chickens will still be safe inside their fence till the tree can get cut up.

Quote:
I live south of Murphysboro IL, southern Illinois....where are you? I wasn't sure I could get my chickens in their coop before the storm hit (they don't like to go in until dark) but thankfully I was able to get them in. Are chickens better off/safer just letting them run or to try to get them in their coop?

I am so sorry for all you guys in the midwest are going through. You must be exhausted. We have been getting crazy weather/rain up here in southern Ontario. I hope the tornados stay away. Thinking good thoughts for all of you south of the border!

Betsy57, I'm about an hour, hour and 1/2 north of you in Dix, IL. Mine were still out in the first round of storms that hit. It was starting to get really dark on the next round and most of them were already up except for a few stragglers. I just managed to just get them in when the gust front came in and the warnings went off. I'm not sure if it is better or not to coop them, but I usually try.
I was so proud of my boys tonight. I thought I would have to chase them around and put them in their modified dog house that I am using until I figure out what I am going to do. They were all piled inside when I went to close the doors tonight. I think they are taking it better than I am at the moment. I took off work today to try and clear some debris. The weather was not cooperative. I went through 3 changes of clothes due to the constant rain/misting all day long. I'm glad no one stopped by, I looked like a drowned rat. Had to call off the chain saws since it was really starting to come down this afternoon. Won't be able to get anyone here till this weekend, I'm hoping the walls hold up till then. The coop was making noises this afternoon so I don't know how much longer that wall will hold out. I thought about trying to save the windows but it's not safe inside. Left a msg with the adjustor, haven't heard anything yet. I did get the rest of the fencing moved, so the rest of the chicken run is well away from that tree.

Quote:
Just curious, do you get many tornados in Canada? My family has commented several times that we wouldn't mind living up your way, less crime, beautiful country and we are big hockey fans, I just couldn't do your winters.
big_smile.png

Actually looks like a fairly simple repair, all things considered. I was expecting it to be flat on the ground.

We lost a couple trees down here with the big storm before this last one yesterday. Town was a mess with fallen trees, shingles and eves ripped off buildings. Ended up moving the 8' pine that was uprooted, but the 20' apple tree in the back yard is an eventual loss. It's laying at around 45 degrees with the top against the ground. Still growing though.... Soooo... Letting the apples mature as much as possible then harvesting.

At any rate, far from a total loss. Cut the tree out, strip the shingles off that side and re sheet the roof. Can't tell for sure what's going on with the floor, but it's fixable too, I'd bet.

Quote:
I hope you receive good news today about your coverage. We had a tornado/microburst hit our neighborhood last year and had standard coverage on our home. Our outbuilding was covered within that, even though we didn't even mention our shed (now it's our coop) when we bought coverage.

Good luck with the rebuilding process to those who were hit recently. Take a deep breath and embrace the fact that you are OK.

Quote:
Just curious, do you get many tornados in Canada? My family has commented several times that we wouldn't mind living up your way, less crime, beautiful country and we are big hockey fans, I just couldn't do your winters.
big_smile.png

Not too many thank God. And nothing like what you get in the midwest. In 2009 we had one come right down the center of Toronto's financial district and one just north of the city that caused a fatality. F2's tops. Again nothing compared to what you get. As for snow... Buffalo NY to the south of me gets the brunt because of the lake wind. I only brought the snowblower out once last year and that was just to see if it still worked. There have been some snowless winters where I live ( not the norm) and the summers are scorchers with high humidity. Toronto has been compared to Chicago - I've never been but it seems right. Every big city has its problems. And if you became fans of the Toronto Maple Leafs, trust me, you'll just get frustrated:he

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom