Stormcrow's Hobby Farm

Pics
Are they BB meat turkey or a heritage?
They are these -

"BB Bronze Turkey"

1713748560756.png

This is what's advertised.

Fingers crossed, expectations low.
BB usually harvest starting at 16 wks. Depends on how big your oven pans are. People have had a 50lb dressed jake by thanksgiving.
They are like CX and have leg and heart problems if kept too long. Turkey or Gamebird starter is needed to help prevent slip tendon. They need higher amounts of certain amino acid than chick starter provides.
They are heartbreakers because they have such personalities. I had a pair intended for dinner. Had to have someone else wack them, I just couldn't do it. The jake had broken the back of his BFF, a br cockerel. They were always together from the end of March until middle of August when I caught the jake standing on top of the screaming cockerel. I put the cockerel in a crate but the next morning it was obvious that he needed a wheelchair. When I dressed him out the back where it joined the hips was broken.

Make sure you don't keep them too long if you're free feeding. They'll get tons of fat on their brest. Enough to just jiggle when feeling
Good to know - I'm not a free feeder, and its just the wife and I. Given how often I cull late, I'll plan on culling early and expect the date to slide.

We bought four, hopefully, we have a breeding pair or trio.

Back
Top Bottom