Straight/arched chick--cant stand normally. Please help!

New chick Mamma

In the Brooder
Jun 8, 2022
A chick just hatched this morning and it was flat on its back, legs sticking straight out, and head kind of arched up. We found it that way this morning and it looked like it had hatched about an hour or so ago and hadn't moved from right outside it's egg. Both feet kind of looked curley, so I did bandaids. One leg may have been sticking out to the side a little (like splayed leg) so I used medical tape to bring it back. Then I decided to wrap medical tape around it's whole body to hold it into the position it should be in (like a deep squat). It looks swaddled like a little baby chick burrito! Anyway, is there hope for this chick? Has anyone delt with this and raised it successfully?? And suggestions on what I should try? Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_20220608_082226056.jpg
    IMG_20220608_082226056.jpg
    282 KB · Views: 14
  • 16547005191787294134777796064683.jpg
    16547005191787294134777796064683.jpg
    712.1 KB · Views: 5
It's actually doing great! Everything I did worked great and it only took a day. After being in the bandaids and body wrap for a few hours I took off the wrap and checked it. It would stay in the squat all by itself! But it would still flip over and be stuck on it's back, so I wrapped it back up for like 5 more hours. After I took it off to check I saw it was staying in the right position when it tried to walk and wasn't flipping over anymore, so I took off the bandaids too and watched it. It did great! Now it's in with the others looking normal!! I'm so happy!!

It's actually doing great! Everything I did worked great and it only took a day. After being in the bandaids and body wrap for a few hours I took off the wrap and checked it. It would stay in the squat all by itself! But it would still flip over and be stuck on it's back, so I wrapped it back up for like 5 more hours. After I took it off to check I saw it was staying in the right position when it tried to walk and wasn't flipping over anymore, so I took off the bandaids too and watched it. It did great! Now it's in with the others looking normal!! I'm so happy!!
That's good to hear! Sorry no one responded to this thread earlier.

Back
Top Bottom