Strange Behavior/Limp Comb

shearwater

Chirping
10 Years
Oct 19, 2009
Nantucket
I've got a White Rock hen which doesn't leave the coop, as though she's trying to lay, but without results. She eats a bit and drinks a little and her comb is limp. Dehydration? Crop seems full, she can walk normally but fluffs her feathers constantly. Occassionally she pants without it being hot.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Blair.

Feel in between her vent and pelvis for an egg. Give her some Calcium/Tums, give her a warm water bath to try and relax her vent muscles, lube her vent with KY jelly, mineral oil etc... to try and get it to pass. Try the search button on the Blue bar at top of page for more info, there are a lot of info on here about it.

HAve you seen a broody hen before? Does she growl or make angry noises when you move her/touch her? If you take her out, does she walk around fluffy making grumpy sounds- then runs back to the same spot in the coop? If so- she is probably broody.

Quote:
Yes, I've seen "broody" before but, this seems different. Constantly fluffed up, limp(folded over)comb, constant appearance of "pushing" at her anus/cloaca. I can feel something hard under her anus area but, when I felt inside her anus all around, I couldn't feel anything hard. Weird. She eats a little and drinks a little. She appears to be losing weight. She always goes back to the same spot on the floor of the coop. Otherwise, no other symptoms that I can see. I gave her a warm bath and will continue that treatment.

Any other help would be greatly appreciated. It's my young daughters' hen and she's worried sick.

Thanks to all for your concern. Cheers.

Blair.

Back
Top Bottom