Strange thing in nest box. Should I worry? Icky picture.

I just called my cat vet but he doesn't do chickens - I have left a message for his colleague who does but isn't in until Tuesday.
Looking for other options.
I still can't figure out who is sick.
There aren't really 'other options' especially if you don't know which hen is having the problems.
Start there. Sometimes it's quicker to start with who it isn't and work backwards.
The food dye around the vent mentioned by @MarkJr often works.

There aren't really 'other options' especially if you don't know which hen is having the problems.
Start there. Sometimes it's quicker to start with who it isn't and work backwards.
The food dye around the vent mentioned by @MarkJr often works.
Turn the cameras on the nest box and see who is laying what. I just did this today so I could see who is laying out of curiosity. You can arm them to take video at motion, I'm sure you know how to do this but if not let me know. Go out and check the box as soon as they are done. This will tell us who it is.

Then you can watch whoever it is closely. If you feel you have to treat before Tuesday I can help with that. As you know, I have no vet access but I have resources.

Turn the cameras on the nest box and see who is laying what. I just did this today so I could see who is laying out of curiosity. You can arm them to take video at motion, I'm sure you know how to do this but if not let me know. Go out and check the box as soon as they are done. This will tell us who it is.

Then you can watch whoever it is closely. If you feel you have to treat before Tuesday I can help with that. As you know, I have no vet access but I have resources.
Have trained the camera on the boxes with motion trigger.
If that doesn’t work I will try food dye.

Lash material is caused by salpingitis. I would do the best you can do identify which one is laying it. It may or may not happen again, it doesn't mean the bird is better. Some will never have any lash material come out, it just builds up in the oviduct. If it's very early then it may respond to antibiotics, but this is really hard to treat successfully. It often doesn't respond, or is too advanced by the time it's known the bird has it. They hide the symptoms really well. They often feel better for a while after laying some of the material. You may be able to identify which bird it is by feeling the abdomen, below the vent between the legs, for any bloat or hardness, it depends on how advanced it is. Unfortunately, the long term prognosis is usually poor.
More info here:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/salpingitis-lash-eggs-in-backyard/

Thank you I did find that in my furious reading this morning.
It is all so very sad. And they are so young. Only 18 months old.
Everyone seems well and enjoying themselves digging holes which is their main hobby.
For a moment I was convinced it was Maggie because she was sitting up on the roost all on her own. But as I opened the run she came flying down and was all over me for a treat. It does look like she had a bit of diarrhea so I need to clean her bum. But not real bad.
I also saw Diana have a liquid poop but just one.
I will keep an eagle eye on everyone and try and figure out who.
I am feeling very sad right now.

Everyone seems well and enjoying themselves digging holes which is their main hobby.
For a moment I was convinced it was Maggie because she was sitting up on the roost all on her own. But as I opened the run she came flying down and was all over me for a treat. It does look like she had a bit of diarrhea so I need to clean her bum. But not real bad.

:hugs :hugs :hugs

The first thing to look at is what you feed your birds.
If they are over weight because of too many treats they are at much higher risk of getting these type of infections.

I'm sorry. It's very hard to go through, especially when you're just starting out. I've been through it too, with Sandy.

Try for a chicken vet asap. Tuesday for sure.

Back
Top Bottom