jsullivan704

Chirping
Jun 27, 2018
Ohio
Im heart broken this morning, I went out to the run and checked inside the coop and my pekin duck did not move. I thought it was sleeping and shook it and realized it was dead. After having somewhat of a mental breakdown, I had my boyfriend come get her out. She had her head stretched out and her legs stretched out behind her. I don’t know what happened and i am terrified that it will happen to my other ducks. Does anyone have any ideas what could have happened? She was only about 6 months old and i have 5 other ducks her age and one that’s over a year old, I was usually getting around 4-5 eggs a day. The past week i was only 3-4. I don’t know which ducks are laying besides i know my older girl is. So i am not sure if she was egg bound and i don’t know how to tell. Any help or guesses would be appreciated.

If she was egg bound feel around her vent and if you feel something hard she was egg bound. Is it possible she was exposed to any type of mold? Ducks are extremely sensitive to mold. Just as a pre-caution I would put some apple cider vinegar in their water to boost their immune system. Does it feel like any of her bones are broken? Was their any blood or feathers scattered around?

Unfortunately they sometimes just die. It doesn't happen as much in ducks as it does in chickens, but ducks too can die without you noticing something was wrong. Most things that die of natural causes will stretch out as they die. It probably had a congenial defect that it finally died of would be my guess if there was no signs of wounds that would indicate predator.

Unfortunately they sometimes just die. It doesn't happen as much in ducks as it does in chickens, but ducks too can die without you noticing something was wrong. Most things that die of natural causes will stretch out as they die. It probably had a congenial defect that it finally died of would be my guess if there was no signs of wounds that would indicate predator.

Yeah there’s no way it was a predator at all, they are right up next to my house with a huge goose and i can hear anytime he screams and wake up to check on them. It died during the day as well.. I am just worried about my other ducks.

If she was egg bound feel around her vent and if you feel something hard she was egg bound. Is it possible she was exposed to any type of mold? Ducks are extremely sensitive to mold. Just as a pre-caution I would put some apple cider vinegar in their water to boost their immune system. Does it feel like any of her bones are broken? Was their any blood or feathers scattered around?

I’m going to scrub out their coop tomorrow just incase, but i doubt it was mold. There was no way it was a predator at all, they are very close to me at night and have a loud goose that lets me know if anything or anyone is near. Also no sign of anything getting in. I think it died early in the morning. I’m going to have my boyfriend check and see tomorrow if she was egg bound before we bury her. I’ll also give them some ACV tomorrow.. thank you.

Back
Top Bottom