Browndogsanctuary

In the Brooder
Dec 8, 2021
My 5 month old hen, Margo, suddenly became very ill. She was her normal, energetic, happy self just a few hours ago but I found her laying in the ferns on top of her her own diarrhea. She had her head down with her eyes closed and woke up but didn’t fight me picking her up which was very unusual. She is extremely lethargic and keeps falling asleep in our arms then jolting awake. We brought her inside and soaked her feet in cold water and got her to drink water and Gatorade. We don’t know what it is or what to do. It is pretty hot out as we live in Florida, but I would think that heat exhaustion wouldn’t come in so suddenly. Pease help

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    502.2 KB · Views: 220
Don’t soak in very cold water, just cool. You can cool her feet, legs and body off in that. We keep flat pans of shaded water around the yard for chickens to cool off in and have plenty to drink. Could others have kept her from eating or drinking? I would try getting more fluids and electrolytes into her. Is your coop very hot inside, and how is the ventilation?

Don’t soak in very cold water, just cool. You can cool her feet, legs and body off in that. We keep flat pans of shaded water around the yard for chickens to cool off in and have plenty to drink. Could others have kept her from eating or drinking? I would try getting more fluids and electrolytes into her. Is your coop very hot inside, and how is the ventilation?
She woke up the next morning and she’s back to her normal self, she’s doing great now. She is in a very nice small flock so she gets plenty of food and water, and they free range during the day. Thanks for the concern.

Back
Top Bottom