Suddenly unable to walk!! VIDEO

She is one of my eggs, yes, hatched from my flock. yes.

I got a beautiful rooster in August from a local lady, but he was in quarantined for over 30 days. 5 weeks actually- in a Different building. Its not from him I'm sure.
I dont think Mareks is an overnight thing.

Any vaccinated or hatchery bird can be a carried and/or spreader without ever showing symptoms, so this is why they recommend not to mix vaccinated and unvaccinated birds. It takes 3-4 weeks for the virus to develop in a bird, but symptoms can onset suddenly like this. Timeline is right, but do you know if the introduced roo was vaccinated? Of course, this is only worse case scenario as this can also be the result of a vitamin deficiency or several other causes.

The rooster is still penned separately, and this pullet has had no contact with him.
He was hatched by the lady's broody Marans hen- she bought eggs from a breeder. He was hatched in February. This pullet has had no contact with him, and she free ranges from 9am - sundown.

The rooster is still penned separately, and this pullet has had no contact with him.
He was hatched by the lady's broody Marans hen- she bought eggs from a breeder. He was hatched in February. This pullet has had no contact with him, and she free ranges from 9am - sundown.

What confuses me is how the pullet walks normally for a bit and then scuttles like she’s lame... I’ve never seen this before. Have you tried giving her stress aid or vitamins and electrolytes? If it isn’t a paralyzingly illness like Marek’s, then either physical injury (if not broken then perhaps issues with the tendons or ligaments) or a deficiency is likely your issue. I also haven’t had experience with these in my flock personally, but my father was a vet so I’ve seen a number of cases before.

Is her circulation good - no lack of colour in comb and skin compare to normal?

Also, Marek’s is often spread through dust and dander from chickens, so if you aren’t careful it can technically be spread between barns by boots. I do agree that this is not likely the case based on what you have told me of the rooster (unless it was vaccinated) but I just thought I would mention it.

Last edited:
What confuses me is how the pullet walks normally for a bit and then scuttles like she’s lame... I’ve never seen this before. Have you tried giving her stress aid or vitamins and electrolytes? If it isn’t a paralyzingly illness like Marek’s, then either physical injury (if not broken then perhaps issues with the tendons or ligaments) or a deficiency is likely your issue. I also haven’t had experience with these in my flock personally, but my father was a vet so I’ve seen a number of cases before.
I just gave her stress aid in her water. She doesn't appear to be eating or drinking (it was untouched all day and her crop is empty) - so I gave her a couple of cc's by mouth. then I also had some antibiotic for chickens (ocymacin?? something like that- a general antibiotic (not to be used in laying chickens apparently- ??! oh well- gave it to her anyways. ) I gave her 2 cc once I diluted it. Then I tried to entice her with ground beef and sunflower seeds. nope. just stared at me. Yes, she can walk, and then tips over. usually to her right.
Her circulation feels good- her comb is good colour and she feels warm.

Could she be egg bound? I have a pullet who has been laying beautiful blue eggs for about 10 days- and havent found out who is it. She has a pea comb, so is likely her. She squatted for me when I was giving her meds. How do I check ?

not egg bound...I checked.
My vet says looks like nerve damage from injury, and another member also said same- maybe fell off (or pushed off) roost and hit her head. I have given anitbiotics and vitamins. not sure what else to do but wait and see how she does in a few days .??

Back
Top Bottom