Summer 2012 Granny "Square" Swap (sign ups closed)

Thanks Alethea and Cathy! Diana picked out the colors and I did the hookin'.
big_smile.png

I see we have some new swappers... welcome! It took awhile but I finally caught up on all the posts. The squares you all have done are beautiful! Weather here in Tennessee has been as horrid as you all have had... we broke heat records multiply times in a week. We finally got some rain and boy has that been a relief!

I haven't had time to work on my squares for this swap as I have been helping with some donation squares on a few facebook pages. There is one that makes memory blankets for parents that have lost a child, one makes cuddle blankets for small children fighting devastating diseases and one the makes blanket for people that are fighting cancer. They post for volunteers until they get the requested number of squares and also have volunteers to assemble them and get them to the owners. So... I've made a pair of squares for several different blankets and am also a volunteer for the assembly of one.

I also have another swap that is due at the end of the month that I have been working on those squares. We are doing an NFL swap. Everyone has a team (or two if they chose) and are doing squares in that teams colors. I am working on some pretty purple and gold that will represent the Minnesota Vikings. We are all making 32 squares and will mail 31 and get 1 back for each team.

At the last moment a friend also asked that I join another swap that is 4 inch squares that will make 2 pillows. As soon as I committed to that, I got an order form a coworker for a baby blanket for her soon to be brand new great-nephew. Phew! Have I ever been a crocheting fiend!

Still traveling every other or every two weeks to Baltimore with my job and will be going the week after next. I figure while I am there I will be able to get all my end of July deadline stuff done and then will have some time to work on these again! I have found several patterns that I want to try.

Well, I am off... hope everyone has a wonderful weekend and I will check in again soon!

I am posting this so I can find this thread again while I consider if I have time for this, sounds like fun. I used to be an avid crocheter, but haven't crocheted anything in a while.

I do have a question or two. I skimed through all the pages and saw where you can make more then one set. If you make more then one set do you need to sign up more then one time so you get the extras back??? (hope question made sense)

Do you do this regularly? Is there ever a swap where you can use up stash colors you already have?

Ok, so I guess I need a little clarification. Its probably plain as day but the humidity is getting to me.... Do we make one of each size for each person in the swap? Which would be 3 (1 of each size) to each participant? I just want to get it right before I really get going here. Thanks for any info!
~Cathy

Alethea! Thank you so much for the new dishcloths! I just got them yesterday. I will have to get pics when I find my camera. They are so pretty and will make wonderful trivits for hot serving dishes as well. You are such a jewel to make these for me!!! Thanks again!
hugs.gif

Sunny~ Yeppers we are pretty busy!!!! Things are heating up as we move forward getting closer to opening and then things will be crazy. It's so nice our friends came in town so we have an excuse for a stay-cation squeezed in with a little work. We went to 6 Flags yesterday afternoon after DH met w/ the electricians in the am. Love it, but feeling a little beat up today. I know you are super busy getting your breeding coops all set up and getting settled in your new place.
Gotta run for now. I think we are going to St. Louis w/ our friends for the afternoon.
I hope everyone has a fantastic day!!!
smile.png
That sounds like a blast! How cool that you got to take time out to have fun with your friends!!! I love it when we get out of town guests.
Back from my trip to the Central Valley. Had a good visit with my daughter and granddaughter and also my other daughter, her husband and two boys and two other grandsons. Wow! was it hectic but fun. Came home to 119 yesterday but it was only 102 in Visalia. It was 92 when I woke this morning but it's cloudy, therefore humid as there is a system that might bring us some thunderstorms. We don't usually get them but one never knows here. My granddaughter flies back to GA tomorrow and my daughter back to WA to get ready for their move to CA. They have to be out of their house by the 20th of July and will move to Apple Valley, CA from there. It's about 80 miles from me so it's close enough for me to visit for the day.

I have over 10 blocks crocheted in 12" and 6" and one in a 6x12". They're coming along. I'll take photos in a day or so whenever I get caught up around here. I want to look for some patterns I can use for the 6x12 blocks.

I worried about my old dog and the heat so at the last minute conferred with my neighbor and agreed for me to leave the dog in the house where it's cool and she'd come down several times a day and let her out to go to the bathroom. Bless her! It's great to have neighbors like that. Jada didn't have any accidents in the house either. The chickens made it just fine. I'm wetting down places where they can lay in the wet ground to stay cooler and they seem to like it.

Welcome newcomers. The more the merrier.
So glad you had a nice trip Betty. Great neighbors are priceless!!!
Tomorrow is my day to be in the Central Valley. I'm driving up the valley to Mt. Shasta & will be there a month. I'm taking lav bluee and my trusty G hook. Twelve 6" squares are done. I think that's a set, 12 people excluding me. Two 12" squares are done. I hope to get the other ten done while at Shasta. I'm not taking a rectangle pattern with me. If the squares get done and I'm ready to start rectangles, I'll try to get a pattern there. I might have to go to Redding to do that. Otherwise, would it be weird to make regular rectangles, like the first third of a scarf, maybe with borders around them?
Nope not weird at all. That's what I was planning on doing. Then I planned on doing a simple edging so they can be joined easily.
I finished this one up at work today and wanted to get it posted. Hopefully I'll have time this weekend to post a bit more!

Oh my! That is striking!!!!!
love.gif

That square is gorgeous BTownchickmom! Love the pattern! I'm working on mine tonight, gonna be hot and humid tomorrow so won't crochet much! Have a great night ladies!
Cathy
Thanks Cathy! I hope everyone is having a great weekend!!!
I am posting this so I can find this thread again while I consider if I have time for this, sounds like fun. I used to be an avid crocheter, but haven't crocheted anything in a while.

I do have a question or two. I skimed through all the pages and saw where you can make more then one set. If you make more then one set do you need to sign up more then one time so you get the extras back??? (hope question made sense)

Do you do this regularly? Is there ever a swap where you can use up stash colors you already have?
Oh we'd love to have you join us Kassaundra!!! And to answer your question, at the end of the swap sign ups I will take a count of who is doing more than one set and that person will be counted twice, or more times so they receive more back as well. Yes I have heard there have been swaps done to use up yarn scraps before but Kim can tell you more about it.
Ok, so I guess I need a little clarification. Its probably plain as day but the humidity is getting to me.... Do we make one of each size for each person in the swap? Which would be 3 (1 of each size) to each participant? I just want to get it right before I really get going here. Thanks for any info!
~Cathy
Hi Cathy. No you can make just the amount needed for the participants that are receiving in any type you want. For instance if we have 12 folks then you can make 12, 6" squares or 6 of 2 different sizes. You only need to make 1 for each person.

I see we have some new swappers... welcome! It took awhile but I finally caught up on all the posts. The squares you all have done are beautiful! Weather here in Tennessee has been as horrid as you all have had... we broke heat records multiply times in a week. We finally got some rain and boy has that been a relief!

I haven't had time to work on my squares for this swap as I have been helping with some donation squares on a few facebook pages. There is one that makes memory blankets for parents that have lost a child, one makes cuddle blankets for small children fighting devastating diseases and one the makes blanket for people that are fighting cancer. They post for volunteers until they get the requested number of squares and also have volunteers to assemble them and get them to the owners. So... I've made a pair of squares for several different blankets and am also a volunteer for the assembly of one.

I also have another swap that is due at the end of the month that I have been working on those squares. We are doing an NFL swap. Everyone has a team (or two if they chose) and are doing squares in that teams colors. I am working on some pretty purple and gold that will represent the Minnesota Vikings. We are all making 32 squares and will mail 31 and get 1 back for each team.

At the last moment a friend also asked that I join another swap that is 4 inch squares that will make 2 pillows. As soon as I committed to that, I got an order form a coworker for a baby blanket for her soon to be brand new great-nephew. Phew! Have I ever been a crocheting fiend!

Still traveling every other or every two weeks to Baltimore with my job and will be going the week after next. I figure while I am there I will be able to get all my end of July deadline stuff done and then will have some time to work on these again! I have found several patterns that I want to try.

Well, I am off... hope everyone has a wonderful weekend and I will check in again soon!
Wow you and Kim are both soooo busy! That much activity would make my head spin.
ep.gif
I think what you do for others is so awesome! Kudos to all of you that spend so much time working on things for charity!
So are we up to 13 participants, correct?
Yep but Alethea is not receiving so she won't be counted in the amount of squares you need to do. However anybody wanting to do multiple sets will be counted as an extra person(s) so the number will be higher due to that plus folks still have a little more than 2 weeks left to sign up. But it should still be a very manageable number.
smile.png

I got a few more blocks done today as I stayed inside most of the day. We had several days of 119 but it has cooled down to the high 90's and is supposed to get even cooler in the next few days. It won't last I know but a bit of relief feels so good. I'm working on a second set mainly because I know someone may need to back out at the last minute and I wouldn't want anyone to be shorted. I managed to find one rectangule pattern in my motif book and I have switched it around to make it look like a differnt pattern.

Yes, we do swaps using scrap yarn and I think it may be time to do another one as I am building up a pile of yarn again. The ladies at the Masonic Lodge can use lap robes so I can use it up that way. They meet one Wednesday a month to make all kinds of things, especially for cancer patients, baby beanies for preemies and cardiac patients. I add some things from time to time.

It looks like we're all busy and having to deal with heat and/or rain. I am already looking forward to fall weather.

:( it is already looking like fall here. Leaves are dropping from trees, burn bush is turning bright red already. It is so dry here garden is awful, we have 3 tomatoe plants that we have watered with hose that haven't given us the first red tomatoe. :( we usually water from our creek but it is completely dry. Please pray that we receive rain soon, our baby chickens are having trouble in this heat. I love seeing all the pictures of the squares and can't wait to receive my squares lol then I have to decide what to make with them. Thanks for letting me be apart of this swap. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom