Support Group for Abused Duck Keepers

I found them! I followed those odd tracks and walked around a hill and there they were with the explanation for the odd tracks.
Apparently due to the cold weather down here they transitioned and adapted. Here they all are and accounted for :wee
F1000028.jpg

I'd like to report abuse...

I have a female and a male that are both limping. I'm pretty sure the male broke his knee, and the female had an infected foot.

While capturing them, I got hit in the lip with a wing by the female, and while treating her foot, she bit my finger... Repeatedly... Like it was spinach.

The male thinks I'm the devil, and won't even eat the spinach if I toss it near him...

Before they were injured, they came up to me and ate from my hand.

... Jerks.

I'd like to report abuse...

I have a female and a male that are both limping. I'm pretty sure the male broke his knee, and the female had an infected foot.

While capturing them, I got hit in the lip with a wing by the female, and while treating her foot, she bit my finger... Repeatedly... Like it was spinach.

The male thinks I'm the devil, and won't even eat the spinach if I toss it near him...

Before they were injured, they came up to me and ate from my hand.

... Jerks.
I no im sorry about the injuries

Guys earlier this morning I found a super thin shelled egg. Normally before their passing all the ducks would lay eggs infrequently normally stopping for like 2-3 days after cleaning the brooder on the weekend and then sporadically. I cleaned the brooder on I think Saturday or Sunday and then she laid her first egg after cleaning today. When I saw it I took it out and threw it away and it was super soft. Now it’s slightly crispy after drying, but should I be worried about more thin eggs? I just bought oyster shell pieces for the first time and gave some to her in a little container the night I cleaned the brooder. This is the thinnest egg she’s ever laid and it’s after giving her oyster shells so theoretically the opposite should have happened. It’s so thin it reminds me of a snake egg. It was open a little when I found it because of how thin it was

On a side note, she likes them, but should I also limit how much oyster shell she gets per day if she always eats the whole thing? Is too much oyster shell bad?
View attachment 3728040
I think all that’s left in it is the yolk
Usually it’s lack of calcium
One day of eating them wouldn’t give her time to absorb it to build her egg
I supply crushed oyster shells in a bowl all day for my girls
They eat them as they need
My girls lay nice hard shells
But one ( her story is long and nothing to do with calcium )
What is her diet ?

My poor husky has been having withdrawals
She loves her birds
With the two weeks of very cold temps my birds were locked inside the coop and outdoor enclosed feed area for safety
We got to -53 C windchill
I leave her out with my flock in normal weather when I can leave the duck doors open to the two areas
If my geese decide they don’t want her in there she needs to be able to get out
Safety for both her and the birds
Today we finally got warmed up enough my birds came out for awhile
My husky was so excited she stayed out with them
I put some hay out so they could be off the snow
Was -13 with -17 windchill
In a few days we will be in the plus temps :) for at least 1.5 weeks

Attachments

• 9425C0AD-50EE-4530-A732-C4727544454F.jpeg
    9425C0AD-50EE-4530-A732-C4727544454F.jpeg
    410.4 KB · Views: 6
My poor husky has been having withdrawals
She loves her birds
With the two weeks of very cold temps my birds were locked inside the coop and outdoor enclosed feed area for safety
We got to -53 C windchill
I leave her out with my flock in normal weather when I can leave the duck doors open to the two areas
If my geese decide they don’t want her in there she needs to be able to get out
Safety for both her and the birds
Today we finally got warmed up enough my birds came out for awhile
My husky was so excited she stayed out with them
I put some hay out so they could be off the snow
Was -13 with -17 windchill
In a few days we will be in the plus temps :) for at least 1.5 weeks
Yeah, we're getting our January Thaw next week too. I can't wait! And neither can the birds!
Don't yall ever sleep? lol

Usually it’s lack of calcium
One day of eating them wouldn’t give her time to absorb it to build her egg
I supply crushed oyster shells in a bowl all day for my girls
They eat them as they need
My girls lay nice hard shells
But one ( her story is long and nothing to do with calcium )
What is her diet ?
She’s been eating the oyster shells for 3 days before the egg. And I feed her the Kalmbach 20% flock maker crumbles. And then she ate like 4-5 peas around 2 days before the brooder cleaning. She laid another egg I think yesterday and it’s normal shell thickness, but I don’t know if it’s thicker than the others since my dad took the other carton.

Back
Top Bottom