Supposed to be cream legbar, but...

I have just encountered an expert on Creme Legbars @BlackWatchLady. Maybe she can tell you all about quality Creme Legbars.
Not an expert dear, I just know the hatcheries are not breeding birds to a show quality type. I have four pullet cream legbars from a hatchery and one has to much crest, most have wonky combs and only one has the desired white neck feathers.... they are good for being what they are backyard birds who will lay pretty eggs... but they won’t be good to help the cream legbar breed be better here....to be show quality

Yes, but not all have those traits. Some only show one thing, or the other.

I do see some crest feathers starting to grow on the legbar cross. We can always wait, for an update on the chicks growth, so we know 100% what the cross is.

I'm standing by my guess though.
I will post pictures once he’s fully feathered. I’m hoping it’s obvious by then.

Not an expert dear, I just know the hatcheries are not breeding birds to a show quality type. I have four pullet cream legbars from a hatchery and one has to much crest, most have wonky combs and only one has the desired white neck feathers.... they are good for being what they are backyard birds who will lay pretty eggs... but they won’t be good to help the cream legbar breed be better here....to be show quality
That is good to know in case I ever go that route! But I’m pretty content with just having a backyard bird with a sweet personality that gives me pretty blue eggs haha. That’s why I’m trying to figure out the cross, so I know what I might be up against in terms of temperament.

That's a walnut comb, & the chick is a cockerel.

Could it possibly have duplex comb in there too? The comb appears to split in two at the end closest to the beak. I have never seen a chicken or a photo with pea + rose + duplex, but I might expect something like this.

Thank you for the comb info! I was really stumped on that one. The two breeds that come up when I search for walnut comb are silkies and orloff, and some Orloff chicks resemble a legbar chick, so maybe a cross?

Chanteclers and Yokohamas have a walnut comb too (sometimes called "cushion" or "strawberry" in breed descriptions.) Walnut combs also happen when one parent has a pea comb and the other parent has a rose comb.

Could it possibly have duplex comb in there too? The comb appears to split in two at the end closest to the beak. I have never seen a chicken or a photo with pea + rose + duplex, but I might expect something like this.

Chanteclers and Yokohamas have a walnut comb too (sometimes called "cushion" or "strawberry" in breed descriptions.) Walnut combs also happen when one parent has a pea comb and the other parent has a rose comb.
I've had silkies with walnut combs that are split at the head of the beak. Not sure if I have any pictures of the young birds combs or not though.

Just found a picture of a silkie cockerel I sold. His name is Nugget.
20200525_152230.jpg

I've had silkies with walnut combs that are split at the head of the beak.

Neat! I'd only seen walnut combs on Chanteclers and Yokohamas, where it does not split. (Of course normal pea and rose combs don't split either.)

And that's probably part of why you think the chick is a silkie-cross.

Neat! I'd only seen walnut combs on Chanteclers and Yokohamas, where it does not split. (Of course normal pea and rose combs don't split either.)

And that's probably part of why you think the chick is a silkie-cross.
That's part of it. I also see a small tuft of fluff on top of the head of the chick which is usually the starting of crest feathers.

Back
Top Bottom