Surprise chicks tonight!! :D

loopy119

In the Brooder
10 Years
Aug 19, 2009
Dayton, TX
I have been waiting for 8 F1 OEs and 34 coturnix quail eggs to hatch (all eggs are from my own stock.) I staggered the set dates so that they would hatch on the same day. I put them on lockdown Saturday and added a little water. I always use the dry method then put a little water in before lockdown. Also, I am hatching my chicken eggs in my homemade bator and my coturnix eggs in my LG still air, but they were all incubated in the LG bator in the turner.

ANYWAY...... I had finished collecting my eggs for the night and was putting them in my turner to sit and wait until their turn to be put in the bator when I heard this loud peeping coming from the incubators! I guess my temps are running a little high in the LG bator because my F1 OEs are starting to hatch!! Either that, or I didn't do my math correctly. Haha! There was one already out standing there half dry peeping its little heart out!! It looks like it will be a cuckoo like my marans roo! So far, all of his offspring from my EE hens have been cuckoos!! I hope tomorrow I will have lots of baby quail running around too!

I have hatched countless eggs, but I am always so excited when my birds start hatching!!

ALSO, I raise show guinea pigs and I found three little babies born this evening! Surprises all around!!

Doesn't it make your heart glad? I never get tired of seeing new babies. My broody buff hatched a baby today, it was running around in the run already!

Awwww! Congrats on your new chick!

I have silkies and they are always TOO broody for me to let them keep their eggs! The others will lay eggs under the broodies and they just don't know how to say no to them! They end up pushing the half developed eggs out from under them to take in the new eggs. Anyone else have this problem? Lol! I'm glad someone has luck letting broodies hatch eggs though!!
big_smile.png

Up to 4 chicks, 2 more pips, and I got to watch one of the quail hatch! Several more zips now and lots of pips to go!! Sooo excited!!

Ok, make that 7 quail now and one hatching any second.
big_smile.png
Thanks for the welcome! I've been a lurker for a long time.

Back
Top Bottom