Survey about your CHICKENS!!!

What made you choose a particular breed of chicken?
For the first ones we got--it was what the feed store had available. Since then, mostly looks or reported personality. When we first decided to get chicks and I researched caring for them on the internet and discovered silkies--absolutely love them! It took me not quite a year and a half to get some from the time I first discovered them. My son wanted some bantam buff brahmas, so we acquired a pair, and also a standard light brahma from the feed store--nice birds--gentle, but with personality. Some of our first chicks were barred rocks--love their personality! We've also acquired some bantam polish and bantam araucanas and I do love them.

Was there a chicken breed that you regretted getting?
RIR--mean birds--not to people, but to the other chickens; we had a brown leghorn--too flightly, but an okay personality; buff orpingtons--boring

What other breeds do you want to add to your flock?
Hmmmmmmmmm
big_smile.png

For any of the above questions, if the gender of the bird has affected/does affect your answers, can you explain why?
So far I've never had problems with aggressive, dangerous roosters--the few problems I've had were a couple of roos who took a particular interest in biting my ankles when I wasn't looking (never anyone else)and another who would chase and mate with roosters that he wasn't raised with
roll.png
One of my poor victims would see him coming and run screaming! The predatory roo went to live at a neighbor's home several blocks away.

Quote:
the lakenvelders ate any eggs they came across. i had silvers from one place and a gold from another, both kinds did it.

the light braha was pretty awesome, i could never find a hen big enough to let him breed though
sad.png

Quote:
Ohhh...the Frizzles are so cute! What kind is she? Can you post a picture? What's a BBS?

Suzy
D.gif

BBS is Black/Blue/Splash...I just want more colors of Orpingtons - BBS and Lav. I don't completely understand the color genetics, but you mix the Blacks, Blues and Splashes together.

My Frizzle is in my Avatar, but I know it's hard to see. I need to take new pics of her cause she grows every day and looks so much better now than she used to. She's all black...and apparently part Silkie because she has black skin too...black skin, beak, legs and feathers.

What made you choose a particular breed of chicken

Its what the feed store had at the time and me with to much money in my pocket
ya.gif

Was there a chicken breed that you regret getting

The first EE (god she is ugly, and mean as a snake)
somad.gif

What other breeds do you want to add to your flock

Ummmm a dark brahma, a dorking and some salmon Faverolles. the first two are coming in 2 1/2 weeks
wee.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
1. The Polish stood out right away in my mind. I mean, who doesn't love an afro chicken? Someone else they can compare their bad hair days to? I don't know where I'd be in the world without this breed!
lol.png
We only ordered one, but I've had my sights set on more for a while now. I have a mixed flock of standard and banty roos and hens. (Exhibition, Layers, and some dual purpose.) All are pets.

2. Ooh, this is a tuffy. Do I have to choose just one? Okay, well, sometimes I wish I didn't have my d'Uccle roo. He has attacked me several times and I hatched his chick a few months ago. His chick is a bigger, meaner copy of him (roo) and re-homing is not an option. No intention of killing them, either. We're stuck with the both of them, thanks to rotten luck.

3. Well, I'd like more Polish, a Sultan and a Spitz, too. Eye-candy.
droolin.gif

I find gender has an influence on what the bird fears or reacts to. My Silkie roo is a pain, my hen, however, is a love. I've only had one roo what I've ever loved. The others hate me.
hu.gif
I can't say it's the way I raised them, as all have been given only the best of everything from the start, just who they are? I have yet to see a fitting answer.

Felicitas, I watched your YouTube vid and I'm wondering, how old was the Golden Laced Polish at the time? I'd like to get an idea of how lacing developes over time with the breed, as my only Polish is a WCB. Also, at the end of the video, what color was the brown Polish? Khaki? Really pretty color!

Quote:
I had not really thought about the breed of chicken I wanted. My daughter wanted some chickens and we got some from a friend. They were silkies and I fell inlove with them.

I have never regreted any breed of chicken I have ever owned bad or good they have always taught me somthing.

I'd like to add some cochins to my little flock someday.

No gender effected here I love all my chickens roo or hen. Some of my fav's of my flock our the roo's even roo's need homes and I live in a place where all the roos are accepted. So I keep alot of roo's right now I have 8 roo's and. I love them all!!!

What made you choose a particular breed of chicken?

Looks, and characteristics, and somewhat easy to find. (wyandotte bantams)

Was there a chicken breed that you regretted getting?

A black mottled D'uccle hen I had

What other breeds do you want to add to your flock?

More Wyandotte bantams
love.gif
and more layers.

Back
Top Bottom